Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AustrianOak

Obtaining the harddrive serial number

11 posts in this topic

Is there some way in autoit to get my script to obtain the harddrive serial number of whatever computer it is running on. I know harddrive serial #'s are unique and thats why im wondering...

So Im guessing I should go with your example....

But what If users are running vista, 95, xp, ME who knows...will this work for all of them?

As long as they have WMI installed, I think they should work.

Well I cant assume that they would all have it installed. I know for a fact that harddrive serial numbers are completely unique to each computer so i was going to use this as a type of method to protect software that i create.

since more is involved than i originally thought, is this the best way and would i be overdoing it to go this far?

Well I cant assume that they would all have it installed. I know for a fact that harddrive serial numbers are completely unique to each computer so i was going to use this as a type of method to protect software that i create.

since more is involved than i originally thought, is this the best way and would i be overdoing it to go this far?

So if i buy a new harddrive - then what ??

Start here if you are new Valuater's AutoIT 1-2-3Looking for an UDF - Look hereDo you need to do it twice - Autoit

I know of back up software that says it can copy the hdd serial numbers, but I haven't tried it out yet. You could try getting the processor id as well or instead of.

Func GetProcessorId()
$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\localhost\root\CIMV2")
$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Processor", "WQL",0x10+0x20)
If IsObj($colItems) Then
    For $objItem In $colItems
    Local $PROC_ID = $objItem.ProcessorId
    Next
    Return $PROC_ID
Else
    Return 0
EndIf
EndFunc

MsgBox(0,"",GetProcessorId())

I got this from the forums, but I don't remember who the poster was.

Trust me to make SkyNet with AutoIt...

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

Thank you DarkEngineer.

Edited by IWantIt

Thank you DarkEngineer.

Shevilie: You should be shot. Don't post something that ridiculous next time. I'm pretty sure that no one is going to buy a new harddrive just to get past detection...

I think you took that the wrong way. Microsoft does this with Windows activation. Once you activate Windows, it is bound to your hardware within a certain tolerance. You are allowed to change a few pieces of hardware before you are forced re-activate. This can be triggered by simply replacing a defective hard drive.

Ahh I see.

I apologize Shevilie..my mistake.

Your welcome IWantIt.

Trust me to make SkyNet with AutoIt...