When to use AutoIt

Greetings, all...

It seems to me that this question must have been addressed in the past, but having failed to locate any threads pertaining to it, I'm going to ask: when is it appropriate to use AutoIt?

A little background: I've worked as a network administrator / IT consultant for many years, and have used AutoIt a great deal, mostly for the creation of basic tools for my clients, automation, etc. More recently, however, I've begun to use AutoIt to design more complex applications. At the moment, I'm working on a script which I plan on making available to academic psychologists (I'm presently in graduate school) that will make programming PalmPilot units for data collection (through a separate software package, ESP - www.experience-sampling.org) much easier.

What are the disadvantages of using AutoIt for this type of project (i.e., publicly-released, free software)? I've considered alternatives, but the simple fact is that I'm most familiar with AutoIt, it's free, and seems to get the job done. Am I missing something? I suppose at the end of the day it just seems like I should be picking up .NET or C++ because they're so prevalent; a little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying "it's only a scripting language." But abandoning AutoIt in favor of a lower-level language for this reason alone hardly seems practical.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Sean

Edited by soundguy95

I am in the same boat... I am hard headed and you will probably pry AutoIt out of my cold dead hands... Whatever makes you happy. I never use UPX compression and am very open about AutoIt to my employer, always bragging about how mature and popular it is.

Lar.

f_mrcleansmalm_77ce002.jpgAutoIt has helped make me wealthy

Use Auto IT for quick and dirty.

If you have time to use C++ and .Net do that. For when you have your graduate degree and are looking for that next job. More opportunities are available to C++ and .Net coders than AutoIT.

I've made the other choice much to my chagrin. :-(

tbodine

Yes, Autoit does fit your need, IF you are not planning on selling your software. Thats the price to pay for a free language.

You can help! Donate to AutoIt! or, visit ClimatePREDICTION.netMy posts:Travian Bot Example (100+ servers) BETAHow to Host you code/app for free! (unlimited team number) (Public or Private)"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent. We can attack in any direction!"