Creating a wrapper around std::vector

cppman

Hello,

I am having some trouble with writing a wrapper around the std::vector class. This class is used as a public member variable of another class, and it isn't exported to a DLL. Whenever I try to access it within the other class, the entire program stalls. If I access it from outside of the class, it works just fine. Here is the wrapper class:

typedef bool(*LPEVENT)(EventArgs);

class EventList
     {
     public:
         EventList() { };
         ~EventList() { };

void Add(LPEVENT value) 
         { 
             EventCallbacks.push_back(value); 
         }

void Remove(LPEVENT value) 
         { 
             for (int i = 0; i < EventCallbacks.size(); i++) 
             {
                 if (EventCallbacks[i] == value) 
                 {
                     EventCallbacks.erase(EventCallbacks.begin() + i);
                     return;
                 }
             }
         }

void operator+=(LPEVENT value)
         {
             Add(value);
         }

void operator-=(LPEVENT value)
         {
             Remove(value);
         }

int size() 
         { 
             return EventCallbacks.size(); 
         }

LPEVENT operator[](int index) 
         { 
             return EventCallbacks[index]; 
         }
     private:
         std::vector<LPEVENT> EventCallbacks;
     };

and here is the class that uses it:

class Window : public Control /* Control is a pure virtual class with only 1 method (DefWndProc) */
     {
     public:
         virtual bool DefWndProc(MSG msg)
         {
             /* more code here.. removed for space -> has nothing to do with the problem. */
             return false;
         }

public:
         EventList OnClose;
     };

Now, whenever I try to access the "OnClose" variable, the program stalls. Below is the code I am using to access it:

Window *wnd = MakeWindow("hello world", CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 640, 480, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW);
 std::cout << "test\n"; // this IS PRINTED to the screen.
 wnd->OnClose += windowClosed; // here is where it stalls..
 std::cout << "test\n"; // this is never printed to the screen.

However, when I use the following code, it doesn't stall:

EventList myList;
 myList += windowClosed;

Any ideas on what the problem is? I would really appreciated any input. Thanks.

Is wnd valid? Are you sure your overloaded operator+=() is even being called? Try calling Add() directly instead of using it to see if the same thing happens. Insert more std::cout statements to further narrow down exactly what's being called and where it's stopping.

Also, an unrelated, you can remove most of your Remove() code by just using the remove_if function.

Is wnd valid? Are you sure your overloaded operator+=() is even being called? Try calling Add() directly instead of using it to see if the same thing happens. Insert more std::cout statements to further narrow down exactly what's being called and where it's stopping.

Also, an unrelated, you can remove most of your Remove() code by just using the remove_if function.

wnd is valid (non-null if that is what you are referring to). Yeah, the += operator works perfectly fine. Calling Add() directly has the same effect as using the += operator. I also made EventCallbacks public and accessed that directly, and that is where it is stalling. So, I am clueless as to why it would stall. (I really don't feel like implementing a linked list...)

And thanks. I didn't know about the remove* function.

* remove removes based on the value. remove_if removes based on a boolean predicate.

edit:

I set the warn level to /W4 (most strict), and I don't get any relevant warnings. The only warning I do get is about strcpy being unsafe.

Edited by cppman

Ok, weird. It also works for me when I remove MakeWindow(...). I think it is because that function is exported to a dll, however, the vector associated with the class is templated. I'll try putting the source in the header and see what happens.

edit:

Yep. MakeWindow allocates a Window object which has a vector as a public member variable. I'm assuming that it doesn't work because it doesn't know how to allocate that object within an unknown type?

Well, either way, that seemed to be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Edited by cppman

There are issues with construction/destruction across DLL boundaries. The short of it is, unless you're careful with linker settings, there's no guarantee that operator new and operator delete will be compatible when one is in and the other is out of a DLL. You can fiddle with settings to get them the same, but then that introduces hard to find bugs the moment you use the DLL somewhere else with non-matching operators. It's best to handle all construction/destruction pairs inside the same module to avoid these issues.

Ah, I see. With what you said, I just decided to just take a pointer to an all ready allocated Window object (and they can delete it themselves). It makes it much cleaner anyways. Thanks again. :)

Window wnd;
MakeWindow(&wnd, "hello world");

or

Window *wnd = new Window();
MakeWindow(wnd, "hello world");