Need Advice on Modem Capture Application

Hello All,

I have been assigned a task to gather information from an information source that uses a dialup modem connection. (No chance of them converting to Internet.) The user currently uses HyperTerminal. What I would like to provide for them is an application that:

1. Runs as a service or pseudo-service.

2. Wakes up at a defined time on a daily basis.

3. When connected dials up and logs in with user-id and password.

If cant connect and log in, retry x number of times at y minute intervals. If unsuccessful after x times, issue

error log entry.

4. Enters commands to retrieve specific data.

5. Captures data as it scrolls across the screen and saves it in a text file.

6. Enters logoff commands and closes connection.

Ive looked thru the forum and have found several ways of accomplishing some of the above, but want to know if there is an all around best way to get this done. I really dont know if running as a service thru AutoIt is an option. Hopefully someone has done this before and I can use most of their code. Any advise, examples, code, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks,

Freedom1

• 2 months later...

I did exactly this at my first job using an application called ProComm Plus. We used it to dial into bank mainframes and download previous days debit\credit information for companies (Pre-FTP).

It didn't run as a service, but we would install it on NT4 servers that would launch batch jobs which spawned the dialer(s).

Anyway, I saw from a few searches that Symantec picked them up and still sells their product.

While I realize this may be too late for you, maybe it will help someone else. Either way, best of luck.

I did exactly this at my first job using an application called ProComm Plus. We used it to dial into bank mainframes and download previous days debit\credit information for companies (Pre-FTP).

It didn't run as a service, but we would install it on NT4 servers that would launch batch jobs which spawned the dialer(s).

Anyway, I saw from a few searches that Symantec picked them up and still sells their product.

While I realize this may be too late for you, maybe it will help someone else. Either way, best of luck.

Got sidetracked on another project. Yes, Procomm+. I remember doing exactly as you did with the Banks, for check reconcilliation and A/R payments. I also used another communications product called "MIRROR". It worked well but Procomm+ had more features and support.

There are other programs out there, like KERMIT. I don't know how well that works, but I'd like to get free or low cost shareware. Better yet, I'd like to have someone guide me through development using AutoIT!!!

Now if I could only find my MIRROR or ProComm+ installation disks......

Freedom1