AutoIt Object-Oriented Preprocessor

Kip

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do replace it, you dont have to drag and drop anything. You'll just have to hit Run in SciTE :mellow:

Well this is a bad idea because this will introduce performance hits, even if you use the OO. I think you should just make this into a Scite4AutoIt addon.

What I would do is make a menu item for Scite with the options

Run as OO-AutoIt

Compile as OO-AutoIt

which will do following

1. Convert the AutotIt script to your implementation of OO.

2. Run AutoIt/Compile the modified script.

Add this to au3.properties

# 37 OO-AutoIt
command.37.*.au3="$(autoit3dir)\autoit3.exe" "$(SciteDefaultHome)\OOAutoIt\OOAutoIt.au3" "$(FilePath)"
command.name.37.*.au3=Run as OO-AutoIt
command.save.before.37.*.au3=1
command.is.filter.37.*.au3=1
command.shortcut.37.*.au3=Shift+Alt+F5
# 38 OO-AutoIt
command.38.*.au3="$(autoit3dir)\autoit3.exe" "$(SciteDefaultHome)\OOAutoIt\OOAutoIt.au3" "$(FilePath)"
command.name.38.*.au3=Compile as OO-AutoIt
command.save.before.38.*.au3=1
command.is.filter.38.*.au3=1
command.shortcut.38.*.au3=Shift+Alt+F7

Or perhaps you could use

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Before=

Also you don't need to compile it to unicode/ansi, for example 'OrganizeIncludes' runs perfectly fine without having to be compiled.

Edited by mrRevoked
Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

Well this is a bad idea because this will introduce performance hits, even if you use the OO. I think you should just make this into a Scite4AutoIt addon.

What I would do is make a menu item for Scite with the options

Run as OO-AutoIt

Compile as OO-AutoIt

which will do following

1. Convert the AutotIt script to your implementation of OO.

2. Run AutoIt/Compile the modified script.

I wouldn't do any of that.

This is great example to show that there is nothing that couldn't be done. But, that's all that is. It has no future in this shape.

If you look at VBS before they implemented Class and afterward you will see the benefits.

Implemening ability to create your own objects is up to AutiIt developers and will happen some day I'm sure.

Why?

I guess Autoit's goal is to be a simple scripting and automation tool. No radical changes like OO is needed.

...Although I'd love that feature :mellow:

If autoit feels too simple, it might be time to move to another language.

Edited by amokoura

I guess Autoit's goal is to be a simple scripting and automation tool. No radical changes like OO is needed.

...Although I'd love that feature :mellow:

If autoit feels too simple, it might be time to move to another language.

I guess we are going to offtopic now but...

Introducing OO as you call it is a step forward in some scripting language.

If you look at changes that had happened to AutoIt only for the past little over 6 months (that is my AutoIt time) you will see that developers intention is to make AutoIt as powerful as it can be, not just to exist.

Simple to code but nothing else that simple.

Authors showed that they have no fear about introducing new things when switched to v3 (so I was told)

So, Class is inevitable... in future.

I agree that object orientation is useful. However, without core changes to the engine, the only benefit is making it easier to write readable code. You won't get the *real* OO benefits of having "object" constructs in the AutoIt engine.

The accessor semantics and syntactic sugar are nice, but they necessitate a choice between efficiency in operation, and readability. At least, that's the significant difference I see after playing with this. I could be missing something, but that's how I see it so far. :mellow:

I haven't tested this yet so I am wondering towards how this works. Does your EXE just convert the "OO" code into AutoIt?

Yes :(

Hey Kip, beside all the OO discussion I just wanted to say you did a great and creative job on adding a neat new feature.