Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrewXp

Dynamically Resizable GUI Theme? Using a spliced transparent PNG Image? Possible? Also some C#,C++ Gui questions for the experts.

1 post in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hey, I'm trying to create a GUI that's... well, cool. I like the design of this, or see attatched image 3. But that's a png, and its a fixed size. I can design it to suit my desktop, but everyone else has different resolutions and sizes. I would like to make it adjust itself depending on their resolution. I'm going to work on this throughout the week, and if it fails, I'm going to end up doing a vista-aero-style gui (Downside is not compatible with Xp systems, less cool looking in my opinion..). Can anyone recommend a solution for me? Here's what I've been thinking:

Goal: Make the GUI-style (Using Transparent Png image shown above) have it self adjust depending on users resolution.

Ideas:

-> Would like to do this one:

1.) Splice up the png image (Cut the png into different images), and some how make the gui draw itself a bunch of different png images, 4 corners, then have the length and width borders just a bunch of png images that take up border space. (Like these forums display its style/theme).

-> Fail-Safe

2.) Create a 'resource dll' with set png images in it for every resolution out there (annoying to deal with).

Questions:

0.) Does anyone have any suggestions on Idea 1? Like how to code it, design wise? Just have a bunch of images drawn? I'm just getting into GUI's and trying to search all i can out of these forums.

1.) Cosmetic Question. I have a problem when using the Vista.au3 file and $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW to remove the Exit,Minimize,Maximize,and GUI Title.... (Attatched image 2). When I try to move the GUI, it shows that... Vista.au3 Found Here

2.) Do any programmers here know of any good sites / books to learn how to design GUI / Visual-Styles of programs (C#,C++,C+,.NET)? I've read/took programming tutorials,books, and classes that teach me algorithms and how to do certain functions (college kid).... but they never really teach me how to design how a program looks or what a gui can offer... (Like what styles or options there are for a gui such as the aero feature, Transparency, Drop-Shadows for buttons, etc) Is it all just a bunch of images?

Thanks again for all the support guys!! I've programmed using only basic-gui functions for the longest time, only focusing on the 'program' or purpose of what I'm trying to do. I'ld really like to learn how to get into the design-stuff now, to expand my know-how.

post-4499-1227187458_thumb.jpg

post-4499-1227187485_thumb.jpg

post-4499-1227188471_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrewXp