Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buymeapc

PID Transfer?

10 posts in this topic

Is there a way to launch a script, set the current PID of that script to a variable and launch another application using that PID in the variable?

See @AutoItPID & $CmdLine

I don't understand. How do I launch the secondary application using the PID of the script?

Run("program.exe " & @AutoitPID)

Sorry, but I can't quite get that to work. I'm trying it with notepad and it wants to open a document with the PID as the name.

I have 1 exe which calls a second exe to run the program with that PID

MsgBox(0, "", @AutoItPID)
Run(@ScriptDir&"\Test1.exe" & " " & @AutoItPID)
While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

MsgBox(0, "", $CMDLine[1])
ProcessClose("test.exe")
Run("c:\windows\notepad.exe"& " " & $CMDLine[1], @WindowsDir)

Keeping it very simple right now.

Oh, sorry. The problem is that I am trying to launch an exe with the same PID as the AutoIt script.

Basically:

Launch script>set AutoIt PID to variable>close script (so identical PID can be launched)>launch exe with PID from AutoIt Script

I'm using an HTPC front end (Meedio). There is only 1 screen file for a module that I want to launch multiple programs from. So, I thought I'd use a script to be called from that screen file which, depending on the parameters sent from the front end, would call the correct program. The screen file talks to the applications PID that is launched from it. If I can have this launch the script and set the program's PID to that of the script's, then I can accomplish my goal - launch multiple programs from 1 screen file. I've tried doing it using the internal code of Meedio and have had no luck, so I thought I'd do it this way instead.

#10 ·  Posted (edited)

I believe the PID is assigned by the Windows kernel when a new process is created, and can't be user selected.

Edited by TurionAltec