WinKill Beta

xwinterx

Hi folks! I have been working on, not vigorously though, a pop-up blocker. I know there are a number of them out there, but there are always windows that get through. I have been toying with this idea for a while. It all started when my daughter clicked on a pop-up that looked like a kids game and whammo! Spyware all over the place. So after a hardrive wipe and re-installation, I decided to work on this project:

Name: WinKill

Version: 0.1.4

Updated: 1-17-09

This little program sits in the windows tray. It has the following tray menu options:

Settings: Does nothing really right now, havent implemented anything, but you can clear the log from the menu on the settings window.

Learning Mode: Default is ON (or checked). This puts WinKill into "learning mode".

Pause WinKill: Pauses/Unpauses WinKill.

About: Does nothing but will show a little pop-up about window.

Exit: Terminates WinKill

Learning Mode

When in Learning Mode, WinKill will detect ANY new windows and alert you. It will ask you if you want it added to your safelist. If you choose "yes", WinKill will allow the window to remain open, and subsequently re-opened in the future by adding it to a safelist text file. If you choose "no", then it will close the window. When you turn Learning Mode off, it will close any "visible" windows that pop-up.

Bug: If a window title changes and you are NOT in learning mode, it will kill the window. Example, if you are working in ScITE and make a change to an au3 script, ScITE puts a little asterick (*) in the window so you know a change has been made but not saved. This will trigger WinKill.

Bug: Detects tooltips as windows and triggers WinKill (if non-"tooltips_class32" class tooltips)

Performance: sluggish at times

Sorry for the sloppy code, I will clean it up a bit and take out stuff that I was going to try implementing but never got around to it. The method I chose was to just get a list of window titles (not handles or classes) and compare the current visible active windows to the safelist. If the title is not found, it triggers WinKill. It can also be a bit sluggish to. I have not worked to streamline it, I am sure such can be done. But for now, I can work with the hodge-podge code and slowly tweak it down.

Flame on folks! Thanks!!

post-10606-1232258157_thumb.gif

icon_default.ico

WK_0.1.4.au3

Edited by xwinterx

very nice idea ^^ keep it up im sure you can get this going quite well. maybe just an idea.. have the user select the browsers they have on their computer because each browser has something specific to it in its title bar for mozilla its: "Page Title" - Mozilla Firefox and since most popups will come from web pages it would have that little bit on the end so that you can get around it closing everything

A great place to start Autoit 1-2-3

what I am planning on doing and now partially have implemented is to allow a user to add a window class to the exceptions list. The problem I was running into is that a program I am running uses non-win32 classes, or something, so I kept getting the tooltips on that one program tripping WK. So I added their generic class to a little function. Then added CHM window classes and so on that way it wouldn't keep wanting to close the windows for my SciTE and Help file. lol!

as far as web pages are concerned, I was thinking more of checking say the first 30 or so characters of the window title, since pop-up ads usually come from something like "www.adserver.com/ad.php?123123131231231231231billion!" or maybe domains or something. I'll work it out and keep posting it. This has actually been my real first workable project after I stopped working on my installer and then after the "official" obfuscator defunct the one I posted here. lol!