Child Windows In Other Apps Under Vista

Melba23

• Moderators

Hi,

I have been playing with Volly's old SciTE toolbar (you can find it here if you are interested) and I have run into problems setting it as a child window within SciTE. I am running Vista Home Premium SP1.

Volly's code uses the following to create the toolbar window:

Global $Scite_Hwnd = WinGetHandle("classname=SciTEWindow")
Global $My_Hwnd = GUICreate("SciTE interface", 100, 18, Default, Default, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $Scite_hwnd)

When I run from within SciTE this poses no problem and I get a nice child window, but disaster follows when trying to run the compiled code. All windows begin to flash and gradually become unresponsive. The only way to break out is to log off. I have played with the code and it seems to be the "parent" parameter in GUICreate that is causing the problem.

As no-one reported this when Volly was developing his code (he ceased development in 2006), I can only presume that it is a Vista (sigh!) thing and that the OS does not like you trying to create child windows within another application. Any confirmation of this hypothesis or suggestions as to how to get around the problem?

Of interest, I am at present using a compiled script which creates the toolbar with $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW + $WS_EX_TOPMOST styles and then hiding it when the SciTE window is not active. This works quite well - but it is a bit disconcerting to see the toolbar vanish and reappear from time to time!

Any thoughts welcome - actual help would be better!

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area