some questions for project

aphesia

hello, i found already a dupliacte file finder.. but i thnik i got ideas to make it faster but i got some problems on how to get the main function work:

first of all how do i scan the whole harddrivers? I thought abouzt writing EVERY file on the pc in an array.. asi want to sort them by their extension and only compare files with the same extension (how else could a file be a duplicate if they dont have the same extension.. except images or sounds or vids). But i think soo many arrays.. that would take too much ressources?

If this won´t work i thought about writing .txt files like:

rar.txt

exe.txt

dll.txt

and in them every .extension file will be logged with size , md5 hash.. and then its even easier to check for duplicates. Got some more ideas which would base on such .txt´s but my main problem is how to check for the extensions of the file and how much ressources it would cost to write thesei nto arrays or .txt´s.. and also how fast it would be?

hello, i found already a dupliacte file finder.. but i thnik i got ideas to make it faster but i got some problems on how to get the main function work:

first of all how do i scan the whole harddrivers? I thought abouzt writing EVERY file on the pc in an array.. asi want to sort them by their extension and only compare files with the same extension (how else could a file be a duplicate if they dont have the same extension.. except images or sounds or vids). But i think soo many arrays.. that would take too much ressources?

If this won´t work i thought about writing .txt files like:

rar.txt

exe.txt

dll.txt

and in them every .extension file will be logged with size , md5 hash.. and then its even easier to check for duplicates. Got some more ideas which would base on such .txt´s but my main problem is how to check for the extensions of the file and how much ressources it would cost to write thesei nto arrays or .txt´s.. and also how fast it would be?

Check out this thread, it's got a function that seems to work pretty well.

Otherwise try looking through these.