Interfacing with the Explorer shell...using AutoIT

This is a bit off the autoit compass but since I solely use autoit and I'm just not that up on how Windows Explorer + Registry work, I figured someone here might have run into this and would have a quick answer.

I've been writing a number of autoit-based file naming/copying/moving utilities for myself that I call via the explorer shell (the right click menu in Windows Explorer)

So far this has been working great for anything from 1-15 files at a time...but then I noticed something

If I select 1 more than 15 files, Windows no longer shows various pop-up menu items...including my \* shell commands...it's pulling from somewhere else.

Now I know this isn't something that is wrong, I'm pretty sure that after 15 files Windows deals with large collections of files in a different way.

My question is how do you code to accept what Windows Explorer is going to send if I select > 15 files and where in the registry do I write my shell and command keys to for when 15+ files are selected to launch my scripts.

TIA

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'

This is a bit off the autoit compass but since I solely use autoit and I'm just not that up on how Windows Explorer + Registry work, I figured someone here might have run into this and would have a quick answer.

I've been writing a number of autoit-based file naming/copying/moving utilities for myself that I call via the explorer shell (the right click menu in Windows Explorer)

So far this has been working great for anything from 1-15 files at a time...but then I noticed something

If I select 1 more than 15 files, Windows no longer shows various pop-up menu items...including my \* shell commands...it's pulling from somewhere else.

Now I know this isn't something that is wrong, I'm pretty sure that after 15 files Windows deals with large collections of files in a different way.

My question is how do you code to accept what Windows Explorer is going to send if I select > 15 files and where in the registry do I write my shell and command keys to for when 15+ files are selected to launch my scripts.

TIA

Why would you bother with the Explorer GUI interface at all? It would be so much simpler, faster, cleaner, and more reliable to use your own functions for those things. You can make lists of files in the thousands and then run whatever you want on them from AutoIt without ever bothering with a GUI at all. What's the point?

:P

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 2 weeks later...

Point is to simplify things for non-scripters (this script will eventually be added to my player project and I'd like it to work like everyone is going to expect it to). :-p

ultimately, I'm trying to make this as user-intuitive as possible using the shell as a common entrance...the Explorer shell allows for this interaction.

Plus, I'm curious to figure out / work with what the shell is doing beyond 15 file selections.

Edited by sshrum

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'