Automating Various Programs?

I'm pretty new to programming in general, but what I'm trying to do is automate a few various programs. What I'm wondering is if this is possible to do with autoit (or any other language) if the program doesn't lend itself to automation through a command line interface or something else? So, basically, can you automate programs that haven't made it explicitely possible to do so? This is just something I'd like to figure out before attempting to learn more programming.

Thanks for your time. Sorry for my ignorance.

What exactly are the programs, and how are you planning to automate them? You can automate just about anything with mouseclicks very easily, though this method is sometimes inaccurate and very crude.

Edited by pigeek

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

AutoIt also has control handles which gets over the issues of capture/replay and mouse clicks. Specify what program you are looking to automate and what you are looking to do.

Also have a look through the help file, lots of good examples using notepad there.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]