Pass data to another program...

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered - my searches aren't getting what I'm looking for.

Basically I have a client machine that will invoke an autoit script on a server by way of PSEXEC.

That autoit script simply needs to return a variable (string) to the client. The string is one line perhaps 16 characters long.

If it were an integer, I could simply use the Exit #, but because it is string, I'm not sure of the cleanest way.

I'm aware that I could write the string to many places, but I feel this is untidy.

I would need a second part of the program on the client that picks up the resulting file or reg key, reads it in, then deletes the key.

This is particularly annoying as the writing of data to a file or reg key would be on the server, rather than the client (due to the environment).

Is there any way for an autoit script to simply pass a string back to the parent application that calls the script?

It is possible that it will be an autoit script on the client machine that calls the autoit script on the server...

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of my posts. I like learning from my mistakes too.