remote task administrator

i have been working on a little side project. i am an IT guy for a local school and i have a problem.... kids usually try to bypass the internet filtering we have in place.as a last ditch effort we use vnc to remotely connect and check on a student.

but i have been working on a remote task viewer. i saw the other projects that were started that offer similar results but i really like the ability of seeing window titles. since most browers will give the name of the website there, the kids have trouble hiding myspace or facebook.

i have run into a few snags and could use a little guidance. i have been trying to add in a test option to see if the program is installed on the computer. i plan on building a remote installer so that if it fails i could push down a client (i am domain admin so permissions isn't a problem). but i cannot figure out the test function.

this uses the TCP udf listed on the forums http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74325

let me know what you think, please be nice im not a coder im just an IT guy and im in a little over my head on this project

TCP-Terminal is the viewer

TCP-Remote is the remote end

btw i plan on removing the send command box but i left it for testing

TCP_Remote.au3

TCP_Terminal.au3

One thought about blocking websites, if you add them to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file (it's a .txt file that doesn't have an extension) that should effectively block the sites if you've got an admin account on the computer that you can use to set that file to read-only...

You could add something like:

127.0.0.1       www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1       www.facebook.com

to that file to see that (you may have to close/reopen your web browser first) once that's added that myspace.com and facebook.com won't work anymore.

The other perk to this method is it's obscure enough that a lot of students probably won't know about it, and if you've got the permissions locked down on the file then they can't change it anyways.

Edited by exodius

we do use very restrictive policies, and content filtering. the kids cannot hit the pages directly. ususually though some cgi proxy they find trying to find a loophole. i have made every attempt at keeping them locked down by blocking sites and keywords but sometimes its just easier to get some information from the computer to determine what they are doing.