Array element question

This has probably been covered somewhere several hundred times but for the life of me I cann't find much information so I guess I'll start a new thread.

So I'm new to the whole programming/scripting thing and I've come to a point where I need help. Removing an element from an array. I'sure i can do something like array[x] = 0 or something similar. My question is what is best practice? assign 0, Null, re-index the array? For a little help I'll throw out this example.

A directory exists that contains files named;

1.exe

2.exe

3.exe

4.exe

7.exe

8.exe

9.exe

10.exe

A user inputs a comma seperated string into an input box containing; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, stringsplit reads that string to an array.

Obviously 5 and 6 don't exist. So as the script loops through to verify the files exist, errors generated on 5 and 6. So to remove the offending elements, how does one handle that? I believe I could set the element to 0 and on the subsequent loops to execute files if the element is 0, continue to the next element. But is this the correct way to handle this situation?

TIA

Bill

• Moderators

This has probably been covered somewhere several hundred times but for the life of me I cann't find much information so I guess I'll start a new thread.

So I'm new to the whole programming/scripting thing and I've come to a point where I need help. Removing an element from an array. I'sure i can do something like array[x] = 0 or something similar. My question is what is best practice? assign 0, Null, re-index the array? For a little help I'll throw out this example.

A directory exists that contains files named;

1.exe

2.exe

3.exe

4.exe

7.exe

8.exe

9.exe

10.exe

A user inputs a comma seperated string into an input box containing; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, stringsplit reads that string to an array.

Obviously 5 and 6 don't exist. So as the script loops through to verify the files exist, errors generated on 5 and 6. So to remove the offending elements, how does one handle that? I believe I could set the element to 0 and on the subsequent loops to execute files if the element is 0, continue to the next element. But is this the correct way to handle this situation?

TIA

Bill

The easiest way (most straight forward) is to just use _ArrayDelete() that's provided for you.

If you're trying to learn about autoit and arrays:

http://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Arrays

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.