Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schoel

Defining your own operators

9 posts in this topic

Is it possible to define your own operators?

For example, if I would like to define ~= for checking if two numbers are almost equal.

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

this is possible in C++... just for the fact that operators are in the end functions, and nothing more than that

so use a function instead :)

Func _AlmostEqual($num1, $num2)

some code

return YourResult (True or False)

EndFunc

Cheers :idea:

oooh I'm so glad I'm learning c++ :party:

Edited by torels

Some Projects:[list][*]ZIP UDF using no external files[*]iPod Music Transfer [*]iTunes UDF - fully integrate iTunes with au3[*]iTunes info (taskbar player hover)[*]Instant Run - run scripts without saving them before :)[*]Get Tube - YouTube Downloader[*]Lyric Finder 2 - Find Lyrics to any of your song[*]DeskBox - A Desktop Extension Tool[/list]indifference will ruin the world, but in the end... WHO CARES :P---------------http://torels.altervista.org

Yeah, I'm aware that it is possible in C++.

I know that they are just functions but the code would be a lot more readable if I could make it an operator. I will have lots and lots of comparisons and an operator would just make it a lot nicer.

well

when you are working with things the level of ~= something like _AlmosEqual(5,5.2) in its palce doesn't ruin your code so much you know :party:

nor does any other function if sufficently descriptive and clearly named :)

Some Projects:[list][*]ZIP UDF using no external files[*]iPod Music Transfer [*]iTunes UDF - fully integrate iTunes with au3[*]iTunes info (taskbar player hover)[*]Instant Run - run scripts without saving them before :)[*]Get Tube - YouTube Downloader[*]Lyric Finder 2 - Find Lyrics to any of your song[*]DeskBox - A Desktop Extension Tool[/list]indifference will ruin the world, but in the end... WHO CARES :P---------------http://torels.altervista.org

An operator wouldn't even be enough to satisfy an "almost equal" comparison, you would need to also specify a tolerance AND whether its absolute or relative.

An operator wouldn't even be enough to satisfy an "almost equal" comparison, you would need to also specify a tolerance AND whether its absolute or relative.

surely

but with Operator Overloading (as schoel said) it would be possible :)

surely

but with Operator Overloading (as schoel said) it would be possible :)

Only if the tolerance is static and not user specified.

Operators only allow 1 operand on each side so how would I go about specifying a tolerance? You can't. Even in C++ this would be useless.

Yeah I was thinking about a static tolerance. I guess I will have to use a function though.

#9 ·  Posted (edited)

You could do something like

bool operator ~=(double, vectordouble) // not a real operator

vectordouble operator ,(double, double)

and then just

if (myvar ~= (1.3, 1.0))

And voila.

Edited by Richard Robertson