Is this possible

ok for my computing exam we have to make and compleate a project.

we have to make a program

and i chose to do a kind of Gui/desktop

my idea.. is :

to compleatly hide the origional windows one *remove it if possible*

to show imagebuttons (maybe animated on rollover) that are dragable

to show Cpu % usage as a icon that is moveable

to show memory % usage as icon that is moveable

to always run on startup/user log in

and if possible to have its own file explorer.

if you understand what i mean..

i know that some of it is possible. but i would like t know on a whole. or wich arnt

p.s Example in attachment

Budweiser + room = warm beerwarm beer + fridge = too long!warm beer + CO2 fire extinguisher = Perfect![quote]Protect the easly offended ... BAN EVERYTHING[/quote]^^ hmm works for me :D

thanks ..

and i was going to do that or make a splash screen (as the background)

depending on the awkuardness to remove the border and menu ect of the GUI

and

im am more cuiouse about the making the file explorer. the cpu usage .. AND if someone could please state how flexible image buttons are (assighning the button property to a image..)

and can you make them transparent and runn off of the GUI ?

Budweiser + room = warm beerwarm beer + fridge = too long!warm beer + CO2 fire extinguisher = Perfect![quote]Protect the easly offended ... BAN EVERYTHING[/quote]^^ hmm works for me :D

There are registry keys to comletely hide the taskbar, but One big GUI is better.

Are we allowed to help you out here with code?? if it's for your exam then I have a funny feeling that we're not. but:

RegDelete ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2")
$sKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoSetTaskbar", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoTrayItemsDisplay", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "HideClock", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoTrayContextMenu", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoSaveSettings", "REG_DWORD", "00000000")

Untested code. and I recommend finding out how to restore it before removing it...

MDiesel

There are registry keys to comletely hide the taskbar, but One big GUI is better.

Are we allowed to help you out here with code?? if it's for your exam then I have a funny feeling that we're not. but:

RegDelete ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2")
$sKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoSetTaskbar", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoTrayItemsDisplay", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "HideClock", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoTrayContextMenu", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ($sKey, "NoSaveSettings", "REG_DWORD", "00000000")

Untested code. and I recommend finding out how to restore it before removing it...

MDiesel

ahhhh that could help alot :D

and yes help is allowed :D

aslong as i make a note on how i was helped. ect ect

and perhaps instead of deleting the registrys.. renaming? and implimenting a restore program in the project package

Edited by Thornhunt

Exactly :D .

When you install, write to a registry key called backup under your program key. usually local machine\software\projectname.

Or even easier:

Run ("Regedit.exe \E """ & @ScriptDir & "\Backup.reg"" ""HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2""")
Run ("Regedit.exe \E """ & @ScriptDir & "\Backup2.reg"" ""HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer""")

There you go! :D I am not sure how to combine the files. except maybe:

$hFile = FileOpen (@ScriptDir & "\Backup2.reg", 0)
$sFile = FileRead ($hFile)
FileFlush ($hFile)
FileDelete (@ScriptDir & "\Backup2")
$sFile = StringTrimLeft ($sFile, 37); trim Windows registry editor version 5.00
$hFile = FileOpen (@ScriptDir & "\Backup.reg", 1)
FileWrite ($hFile, $sFile)
FileFlush ($hFile)

MDiesel

that should work..

i think il test it later on my other pc incase i have troubles restoring the registrys.

hmm

i might add the registry restore at the end of the project. so like when shutting down or closing it changes the registry back. could be hany if the project is closed unexpectidly.

hmm :D

my level of excitement and hope has just drasticly increased ;) and think this actually might work perfectly

also.. with the whole able to use script thing.. i would rather be pointed in directions than have the code straight away.. because A: i dont want to seem like im looking for others to do it for me.. and B: helps me learn :D

-thorn-