Script starts multiple instances of itself

Ok, total newbie here. Not afraid or too proud to ask for help.

I'm building a script to install our new Cisco CTIOS software. Since Cisco hasn't released (and has no intentions of releasing) an install package which is either silent or unattended, I've been tasked with creating a package which I can put on a thumbdrive and go around touching about 50 or so machines to install this package.

When I came across AutoIt I was convinced it was a Godsend. Playing with the scripting language was slow at first but I'm picking up speed, and after three or four days of the fussiest try-and-try-again re-writing, I finally came up with a script which works in the editor, and when run in the editor is nearly perfect.

I proceeded to compile the program, and after compiling it, ran it on a fresh machine. The fresh machine created the AutoIt icon in the System Tray...and another, and another, and another...until the System Tray filled up and began to push the clock and anti-virus icons right off the side of the screen.

Obviously, this is a failure on my part, but what I can't figure out is why the script runs in the editor but when compiled, bombs horribly. Here is a snipped of the beginning of the script:

CODE
run("C:\Cisco\PartI\setup.exe")

WinWaitActive("Cisco CTI") ;Wait for Installshield window to pop up

Sleep(4000) ;Wait additional 4 seconds

ControlClick("Cisco CTI Toolkit Desktop Client", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:1]") ;Pass Welcome screen

Sleep(2000) ;Wait two seconds

The directory structure on C: drive exists as it's supposed to. When run in the edit window with F5, the entire script runs fine.

I'm sure that my error is fundamental to a lot of you gurus out there, perhaps you could draw my attention to it? I'd be eternally greatful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you all can lend.

Did you by any chance, named your compiled scripe as Setup.exe? :)

P.S

I am sure you did, it's common mistake among the beginner users. Your script is runing Setup.exe, wich is the compiled script, so the script run itself all the time.

Edited by MrCreatoR

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

Did you by any chance, named your compiled script as Setup.exe? :)

The script is saved as "Part1.au3", located in the C:\CISCO\PartI directory.

The executable file that it's calling is called setup.exe (Installshield icon), in the C:\CISCO\PartI directory.

After compiling, it converts that to setup.exe (AutoIt v3) icon, in the C:\CISCO\PartI directory.

Hmm...sudden thought. Are you saying that my script is calling itself?

Ok, re-compiled program and script as CSetup.exe (AutoIt v3 icon). Now this works, thank you. Odd, I was thinking that after the compilation, the setup executable would not be searching for itself, but would simply include the orignal executable in the new compiled executable. Now I see, this was definitely a case of the snake eating it's own tail.

Thanks again. (I'm eternally grateful!)

Well, you can include your setup.exe by using FileInstall(), but when extracting (on function call actualy) be sure that destination path is not the same name as your script, otherwise it can be replaced.

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

P.S

I think this remark (about script runing itself) should be added to FAQ in the help file...

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif