Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Learning To Script with AutoIt V3

112 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Learning To Script with AutoIt V3

Document was last updated 17 February 2010

This document is for you if you are interested in learning to script with AutoIt. Where possible, I will try to assume that you have no prior coding experience and I aim to teach you some good general coding habits, which will be beneficial should you decide to move on to other languages.

Download here

Learning to Script with AutoIt V3 (Last Updated 17 Feb 2010).zip(Previous Versions = 10152)

The download contains the tutorial, example AU3 files contained in the text, printable exercise question/answer sheet and more.

If you encounter any issues, with the text, please post them, but this is not a thread for requsting help or requesting scripts. Please do not PM me either. We have this wonderful support forum, so use it! :)

Original Document: Alex Peters (LxP)

http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~apeters/

Updated By: Brett Francis (BrettF)

http://signa5.com

Edited by BrettF
232showtime and Valero like this

Posted

'Tis a fine job you've done M8.

Guess I'll download the update tomorrow (November 25) :)

Posted

Sorry I cannot dowload the PDF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

Posted

Sorry I cannot dowload the PDF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

After I replied this topic, I could download it.

Thanks. :)

Posted (edited)

Sorry guys. Uploaded the PDF instead of the full .zip file. Also please note there is a link to a video on installing. I've done the video to an okay standard, but I still need to upload it- which it doesn't seem to want to do. So all you will see at the link is a sample video... Hopefully the whole system I have implemented will be finished in the next few days. :)

Cheers,

Brett

EDIT: Video is uploaded... :) Preview image still to come.

Edited by BrettF

Posted

Nice work :)

Posted

Video uploaded. I lied about the quality. Its pretty bad when I look at it... Hahahahha.

I will play around with settings and such to get a nicer quality video working... :)

Basically its a small proof of like concept.

Posted

Thanks for sharing this. It is more in details & more examples than the help file. :)

Posted

Impossible to have more examples than the helpfile! There are around 2000 different examples and the helpfile has way more detail! I just exaplain it differentl...!

Thanks for your support though :)

Posted

Impossible to have more examples than the helpfile!

:) Don't fret. I'm not expecting more help files or examples. Since u explain it differently..., it is all that matters.

Nice PDF. I can print & read leisurely on the bus now...

Posted

Nice work Brett,

I really like it.

Easy, smooth and fast learning.

Step by step well done and incremented difficulty!

A great startup manual for AutoIT!

I Recommend it for new scripters!

Keep the good work :)

Cheers

Posted

How is it? Any comments?

Cheers,

Brett

Posted

Hey man  GREAT job for beginners!!!  :)

I think this could be mentioned on main AutoIt's download page.

---

At top of PDF file is little mistake about AutoIt version:

Learning to Script with AutoIt V3

Document last updated 25 November 2008

AutoIt Version 3.12.2.1

Should be

AutoIt Version 3.2.12.1

Posted

This is great BrettF!. Heroic work.

Posted

Hey man GREAT job for beginners!!! :)

I think this could be mentioned on main AutoIt's download page.

---

At top of PDF file is little mistake about AutoIt version:

Should be

Woops! Thanks. Will update it soon :)

This is great BrettF!. Heroic work.

Thanks!

Posted

Dude brett, this is amazing! It is so detailed, and its printable, along with exercises and even a "worksheet"!

AWESOMEE!!!

Posted

Thanks for that. Its great to be using a tool that has such great support.

Posted

Nice work BrettF.

It will be very useful your tutorial for many people. :)

Posted (edited)

This looks awesome Brett. When I saw "Simple Notepad" though I thought you were going to show how to make something like notepad, not automate it o:). I haven't had time to go through the PDF yet (it's 4am here) but if you want to show something like a notepad you could use my STE tutorial. Almost every line is commented to show what's going on. It's a mid-range tutorial, at least that's how I see it. It makes people think a bit about what they could add and how things work but it also gives a good solid base. Perhaps you could incorporate tutorials such as yours, Valuater's 1-2-3 class, and other tutorials like AlmarM's and my own into something like a tutorial CD? That way you would have tutorials, code examples, step-by-step help, and combinations of those in one location :).

Eidt: Going through the Exercises pdf I noticed that you have "1,2,4,4" a lot instead of "1,2,3,4". I'll post anything else I find :).

Edited by dbzfanatic

Posted (edited)

Thanks!

@dbzfanatic- I might acutally do a simple notepad, because it does use everything that has been done before in the script. Sounds like a plane (vrrooom) plan o:)

I have thought about a CD, but I think we need some more tutorials to shove in there for it to be truely perfect... :)

I will fix the excerices pdf too. The PDF maker I used also skipped some of them in the book marks of the main file too... :S

EDIT: Typo and I almost did the same typo. Hahahahha :)

Edited by BrettF

Posted

Typos happen to the best of us. Example: you said "plane" not "plan" lol. It's actually reassuring to know that experts make mistakes too. Also as I said if you'd like to use my STE go for it, in fact I'd be honored if you did :). Perhaps throw in some DLL tutorials and custom GUIs? I've barely started working with DllStructCreate() so this would help me out as well :). Also why not make the exercises more "worksheet-like"? Like have blanks to fill in instead of just a lot of blank space at the bottom or do multiple choice. Just suggestions but this really seems like it's going to be a monster when it's finished XD.

Posted

Fill in the blanks I can do. I could make paragraphs like:

And a _________ stores _____ such as numbers, strings, and ........

o:)

Thats a common typo for me. The other is to go survery instead of survey. I actually have to really think about typing that word :)

I do belive monoceres was doing some work on a DLL tutorial, (I think it was him), but if not that is on my list, that and I will probably do some work on boting, as many of the things that go through this forum are about that. I think another is maybe a tutorial on SciTE and the forums, just for some variety. :)

Cheers,

Brett

Posted

You've been planning this haven't you? lol If you do make a tutorial on boting I can help you out if you'd like, that's all I've been doing the past few weeks.

Posted

Hi all,

I had a dream :)

Here's the deal, create a new Subforum with AutoIT exercices :)

I hope that revising the exercices would not take much time!

Cheers

Posted

Hi all,

I had a dream :)

Here's the deal, create a new Subforum with AutoIT exercices ;)

I hope that revising the exercices would not take much time!

Cheers

I think the example scripts forum counts for the exercises don't you? :) Also from the looks of things I've seen fixing it should only take a few minutes, that is when he gets time to do it o:).