Detect Windows Shutdown/Logoff/Restart event ?

Is it possible to detect when windows is shutting down, restarting, or logging off.

I have two applications that don't seem to be able to figure that out, and it causes all kinds of errors during the above events.

So I'd like to have a little script running in the background that will detect the event and kill the two processes.

Thanks,

Kenny

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

• 1 year later...

There were several "intercept shutdown" examples in the forum.
This is one of them:

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_QUERYENDSESSION, "Cancel_Shutdown")
GUICreate("PreventShutdownGUI")
GUISetSTate(@SW_HIDE)

; set highest notification level
If Not _SetProcessShutdownParameters(0xFFF) Then ; MSDN says maximum is 0x4FF, but it worked for me
    If Not _SetProcessShutdownParameters(0x4FF) Then ; MSDN says this is reserved for System, but worked for me
        _SetProcessShutdownParameters(0x3FF) ; highest not reserved number, if everything else does not work
    EndIf
EndIf

Global $b_ShutdownInitiated = False

While 1
    If $b_ShutdownInitiated = True then
        $b_ShutdownInitiated = False
        MsgBox(48 + 8192 + 262144, "Installer", "Ending your user session has been disabled to allow the installation to complete." _
        & @CRLF & @CRLF & "You will be able to shutdown/reboot/logoff once the installation process has completed." , 8)
    EndIf
    sleep(10)
WEnd

Func Cancel_Shutdown($hWndGUI, $MsgID, $WParam, $LParam)
    $b_ShutdownInitiated = True
    ; DO NOT ADD A MSGBOX HERE
    ; Windows shows a not responding box after ~5 secs and allows to kill your app.
    Return False
EndFunc

Func _SetProcessShutdownParameters($dwLevel, $dwFlags=0)
    ; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686227%28VS.85%29.aspx
    ; Prog@ndy
    Local $aResult = DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "int", "SetProcessShutdownParameters", "dword", $dwLevel, "dword", $dwFlags)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1,0,0)
    Return $aResult[0]
EndFunc

thanks I will test it, but it will be interesting yet, because actually I have a service running which needs to know this so it does not start doing some stuff during shutdown. So I will have to make this other process maybe write some value into registry and the service will check it before running the risky functions...

• 2 weeks later...