Frustration

Buk

It should be noted that the help file does not mention escaping any values. Strings in BASIC type languages usually don't use escape characters. AutoIt is much like VB.

A good idea is to look at the example scripts forum to see examples of full scripts or functions. This lets you get a feel for the language, and you can see the quirks and differences from other languages.

The terms like "Static1" come from Windows programming. The AutoIt Info Window program lets you see the type "Static" (a label) and the instance "1" (a number that AutoIt uses to distinguish between more than one of the same kind of control). The splash screen really isn't meant to be modified with ControlSetText. Since you specified no control in your call, it used the window. Setting the text of a window changes the title.

One thing you should consider: A lot of effort goes into maintaining and developing AutoIt. It is a team effort. The people on this forum do their very best to help each other.

$message = ""
SplashTextOn( "Pixel color", $message, 100, 100 )
For $i = 1 to 10 
     sleep ( 1000 )
     ControlSetText( "Pixel color", $message, "Static1", $i ) 
Next 
SplashOff()
Edited by czardas

• Developers

-snip-

And there you have it. Frustration. An immensely powerful utility completely hamstrung by documentation that creates more questions than answers.

I'm no newbie to programming (25+years), and I've a dozen or so languages under my belt, and the last two days trying to something relatively trivial to go with AutoIt and, to misquote Jon

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Buk

(**) Yes. I tried doubling the backslashes to no avail Printed out @ERROR and got '1'. Very helpful-not!

So, then I switched them to forward slashes and it worked.

But if working out how to use every function is a matter of trial and error and "guess what that might mean", it'll take months to do what I've set out to do. Quicker to do it by hand. My left hand, whilst my dominant right is tied behind my back and I'm wearing a blindfold.

Any suggestions for improvement can be made in our TRAC system.

I am sure you will have a good worked out proposal seeing all the effort you already put in sorting things out.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)