Importing variables from a file

Theo

Hey all, I need a bit of help here.

I have a Gui that writes a bunch of variables to a file. I then want the master script to import those variables. The variables are written one per line in the style: $variable = "value"

I first tried using a #include "GuiVars.au3", but it appears that autoit wants to read in all the includes at the beginning of the script no matter where they are located in the script. Then I moved to this:

Call( "_importVars" )   ;   Get the variables created.
    Call ( "_Rename", $hostname )   ;pass the new hostname to the rename function

Func _importVars()
    $file = FileOpen("C:\temp\2008_followUp\guiVars.au3", 0)

;   Check if file opened for reading OK
    If $file = -1 Then
        MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open guivars.au3 file.")
        Exit
    EndIf

;   Read in lines of text until the EOF is reached
    While 1
        $line = FileReadLine($file)
        If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
        Global $line    ;   Declare each var in GuiVars.aur as a global variable
        ; debug MsgBox(1, "Variable", "Current variable is: " & $line)
    Wend

FileClose($file)
EndFunc

Unfortunaely, the line "Global $line" doesn not seem to be creating global variables because the next call function

call ( "_Rename", $hostname ) ;pass the new hostname to the rename function

errors out telling me I am using an undeclared variable. My debug statement says the variable should be getting declared correctly. Any thoughts? Is there a better way to import variables? -kp

Edited by Theo

Systems AdministratorSiemens: Windows Server SupportFly Fisher, Table Tennis Junkie, and Struggling Coder

This method works. It assumes the file is formatted without quotes however but that can be changed.

Call( "_importVars" )   ;   Get the variables created.

Func _importVars()
    $file = FileOpen("guivars.au3", 0)

;   Check if file opened for reading OK
    If $file = -1 Then
        MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open guivars.au3 file.")
        Exit
    EndIf

;   Read in lines of text until the EOF is reached
    While 1
        $line = FileReadLine($file)
        If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
        $Split=StringSplit($Line,"=")
        Assign(StringReplace($Split[1],"$",""),$Split[2],2)
    Wend
    FileClose($file)
EndFunc

And here is an example GUIVars.au3

$Var1=A
$Var2=B
Edited by P5ych0Gigabyte
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

I see what is happening. I am declaring a Global variable called $line, rather than declaring Global <value of variable $line>

....how to fix...hmmmm

Systems AdministratorSiemens: Windows Server SupportFly Fisher, Table Tennis Junkie, and Struggling Coder

I see what is happening. I am declaring a Global variable called $line, rather than declaring Global <value of variable $line>

....how to fix...hmmmm

Use assign or execute. Did you try my example?

HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

I can also just declare the variable Global first and then assign the value. sigh, sometimes I am just slow. thanks for your input as well. I have another place I can use your example so your time is not wasted!

• 2 months later...

Thanks, I ended up using iniWrite, which with the addition of _StringEncrypt()for password data worked perfectly.