Drawing on-screen

After searching for how to draw things on-screen and finding a function someone wrote called get_drawing(), making references to dllcalls to gdi32.dll and user32.dll (which despite looking up the commands, I don't fully understand), I modified it in an attempt at a static reticle for games. The problem with this method is that it draws once, and if anything draws over it, it is lost. I remedied this in my script by having the draw code loop every 10 milliseconds, which works perfect on desktop, but inside a game the drawing blinks in and out. It works well enough, but I am curious if there is a better method for doing this that would achieve a permanent drawing and perhaps not require fast looping. Has anyone tackled this problem before?

Edited by Shatteredhand

After searching for how to draw things on-screen and finding a function someone wrote called get_drawing(), making references to dllcalls to gdi32.dll and user32.dll (which despite looking up the commands, I don't fully understand), I modified it in an attempt at a static reticle for Borderlands. The problem with this method is that it draws once, and if anything draws over it, it is lost. I remedied this in my script by having the draw code loop every 10 milliseconds, which works perfect on desktop, but inside a game the drawing blinks in and out. It works well enough, but I am curious if there is a better method for doing this that would achieve a permanent drawing and perhaps not require fast looping. Has anyone tackled this problem before?

Kinda off topic, but back when I used to play Counter Strike, I used to zoom in with the awp and put a tiny dot of bluetack on my screen where the targetting reticle was, and then zoom out.

This way I could get decent shots without having to zoom in :) dunno if you could do that here instead of trying to draw a static reticle.

• 5 months later...

Try putting the drawing on a transparent window so it can be permanent.

Been awhile since I made this topic. I didn't know how to make a transparent window so I put it off awhile. I finally did make a transparent window though and used a picture as my reticle. I used the gui style $WS_EX_TOPMOST, and it works for the desktop but not games. Is there another trick or style I could apply to get it on top of games?

Edited by Shatteredhand

This is what I have so far.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

picture()

Func picture()
    Local $gui, $background, $pic, $reticle, $msg, $width, $height
    Local $sFile = "picture.gif"

$width = @DesktopWidth / 2
$height = @DesktopHeight / 2
    ; transparent MDI child window
    $pic = GUICreate("crosshair", 64, 64, $width, $height, $WS_POPUP,  BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_LAYERED))
    ; transparent pic
    $reticle = GUICtrlCreatePic($sFile, 0, 0, 64, 64)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    WinSetOnTop("crosshair", "", 1)

Do
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()

Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
EndFunc
Edited by Shatteredhand

Borderlands is an online multiplayer game and since using a cross-hair hack is considered cheating, I refer you to Game Bots topic.

The game is not important at all, I edited out any references to it.

The crux of my problem is I can't get a picture to always be on top. Several games overlay it, task manager overlays it. I just want to know why that's the case, and if anyone knows a solution. I've tried WinSetOnTop() function, and the $WS_EX_TOPMOST style, that is the extent of my knowledge.

Edited by Shatteredhand