Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lasaucisse

wait while file being written [solved]

7 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

hi,

first, excuse my poor english, i'm french ;)

I'm coding un GUI for a tool, whose goal is to automate some actions with this tool, by sendind hotkeys. I have to use the send() function because the WinMenuSelectItem() function fail : no detected menu in my tool with Au3info.exe.

At the end of my hotkeys sequence, I need to save the current file, then to close it.

my problem : for big files, the saving process takes some time (several seconds), so I need to wait before to send the "close" hotkeys. So I need to know how many time I have to wait, so I need to check if the saving process is finished or not.

but I can't find the way to do that ! :evil:

I tried to checked :

- if the file can be read or write while the process...failed, no error code, I can open in read or write mode, although the file is still being written !

- the file's size : it's change during the save process, but not continuous : I can check if the file's size didn't change since seconds, but I'll have to wait at least 4 or 5 seconds to be sure it's ended : too long !

same limitation with file's timestamps...

- the file's attributes, it's "A" (archive) before, during and after the save process

So... how can I check that a file is being written by any process ?

Edited by lasaucisse

[size="1"]mostly useless softwares (sorry for old VB softs ^^) & others things[/size]

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Take a look at the FileInUse function in my signature. Loop while it returns true to wait until writing has finished.

Edit: I always add a pop-up with a looping progressbar and a timer check to the loop to set a certain timeout value.

Edited by KaFu

Take a look at the FileInUse function in my signature. Loop while it returns true to wait until writing has finished.

Edit: I always add a pop-up with a looping progressbar and a timer check to the loop to set a certain timeout value.

thanks a lot !!! I'll try and come back ;)

[size="1"]mostly useless softwares (sorry for old VB softs ^^) & others things[/size]

thanks a lot !!! I'll try and come back :evil:

it works perfectly, thanks thanks thanks !!! ;)

it's me again : how can I update the post's title with "resolved" or "done" ?

AFAIK you should be able to edit it from the 1st post

whim

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

done, thanks.

Edited by lasaucisse