opening windows files

hi, i have a winxp comp. setup up as a dvr over the air recorder. the only app. is a tv program which i use to record shows. i use intelliremote as a interface between remote and dvr(no keyboard or mouse). i want to make a script that when i push a button on the remote it will open a windows folder(recorded shows), then be able to select with up/down arrow, then have choices to play or delete file, then if delete to verify to delete with yes/no. no fancy graphics just text. i currently have a script set up with mousemoves and mouseclicks that gets the job done, but i want to improve on this. i've been studying for about a week and am not sure which function would the most advantagest for me. i'm not necessarily looking for someone to write, just some guidence as to which function to start with. i understood the script with mousemoves and stuff, but this other stuff is confusing to me and i get frustrated when trying to write one and keep getting errors which i cant figure out. i've read the tutorials but my peabrain must be missing something.

thanks

jim

i understood the script with mousemoves and stuff, but this other stuff is confusing to me

Firstly, what exactly are you confused about ?

Secondly, No-one can help you to improve an absent script, you will have to post it. (use [autoit][/autoit] tags around your code.

Thirdly, welcome to the forums.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

when i look at the function list, where it gives a definition of what a function can do, i dont understand which might be the best fit for me. i dont have a problem experimenting if i can see some progress. so thats the only reason i asked what might be the best funtion for me to start at. i can't give any examples yet as i dont have any. one area that i havent been able to even understand is how can i get a windows file inside of a made window from a funtion and get it so i can select it. also, is there any examples of what i want to do that i can look at to try and understand the whole process. i havent been able to find any, then again i might not know what to look for(i have a problem with terminology). anyways thanks for listening to my dilemma.

I understand mate

The first mistake I made was not scrolling right to the bottom of the functions reference in the helpfile, and finding there an example of it :(

About your terminoligy, that will come, but I cant understand what you are after, sorry.

Maybe its FileOpenDialog().

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

i'll try explaining my needs this way. say you buy a new tv. when you first turn it on you need to set it up the way you want it. you might hit menu or setup on the remote, then an OSD (on screen display) will pop up and you get several options to chose from. you would move to the option you want to adjust and select it, then another OSD would pop up, and you would continue on until you get to the desired selection then hit ok or maybe enter. i want to do the same thing. my dvr(computer)records shows that i setup with a timer. the shows are saved as files under a folder called "recorded shows". with the remote control i will select a button that thru intelliremote will activate the autoit script. when i push the selected button i want an OSD to pop up with the files that are in the folder "recorded shows". then move up or down to select the show i want which will open another OSD which would give me other options like, watch(play) or delete. if i select play would load a progam to start playing. if i selected delete this would open another OSD to maybe select "are you sure" and yes and no, if i select yes it would delete it and if i picked no go back to previous OSD. i hope this helps you in helping me.

thanks

jim