creating a user interface for msg.exe problem

I am trying to make a script that will make a GUI for the windows msg.exe program. The problem is that the msg.exe command has switches. I want to capture input from the gui interface and use those variables for the switches for msg.exe.

This is my code so far:

$Computer = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the name of the Computer to Send a message to.")

$Time = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the number of seconds you wish the message to display.")

$Message = InputBox("Messenger", "Please type your message now.")

$msg = "C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe"

runwait( @comspec & " /c msg * /server:Computer /Time:$Time $Message")

Any help is appreciated.

Well, your main problem is with the way you are inserting the variables into the command string. Here is the correct way, with a few mild improvements to make debugging easier. I do not have Vista, so I cannot test this, and don't know what, if any, output the program generates. For this reason I have set it up to be as verbose as possible.

;Changes to this part do the following: InputBoxes will time out after 2 minutes. If you press 'Cancel' or don't include a value then the message will
;not send. 30 is set as the default message duration
Local $Computer = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the name of the Computer to Send a message to.", "", Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, 120)
If @error Or Not $Computer Then Exit

Local $Time = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the number of seconds you wish the message to display.", "30", Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, 120)
If @error Or Not $Time Then Exit

Local $Message = InputBox("Messenger", "Please type your message now.", "", Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, 120))
If @error Or Not $Message Then Exit

;Run the command, capturing any output from the program
Local $msg_exe = "C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe"
Local $Debug = RunGetText( @comspec & " /c " & $msg_exe & " * /server:" & $Computer & " /Time:" & $Time & " " & $Message, Default, @SW_HIDE, 60*3)

;Write any output to the console for debugging
ConsoleWrite ($Debug)

;$command = full path to the exe
;$workingDir = full path of working directory
;$showFlag = passes value directly to Run() command, see Run() documentation
;$timeOut = time before expiring in seconds
Func RunGetText ($command, $workingDir, $showFlag, $timeOut)
    $timeOut *= 1000
    Local $pid = Run ($command, $workingDir, $showFlag, 0x8)
    Local $returnText

For $i = 0 to 5
        Local $startTime = TimerInit ()
        While 1
            Local $temp = StdoutRead ($pid)
            If @error Then ExitLoop
            $returnText &= $temp

If TimerDiff ($startTime) > $timeOut Then
                StdioClose ($pid)
                $returnText = ""
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        WEnd
        If $returnText Then ExitLoop
    Next

Return $returnText
EndFunc
Edited by Fulano

#fgpkerw4kcmnq2mns1ax7ilndopen (Q, $0); while ($l = <Q>){if ($l =~ m/^#.*/){$l =~ tr/a-z1-9#/Huh, Junketeer's Alternate Pro Ace /; print $l;}}close (Q);[code] tag ninja!

Well, your main problem is with the way you are inserting the variables into the command string. Here is the correct way, with a few mild improvements to make debugging easier. I do not have Vista, so I cannot test this, and don't know what, if any, output the program generates. For this reason I have set it up to be as verbose as possible.

;Changes to this part do the following: InputBoxes will time out after 2 minutes. If you press 'Cancel' or don't include a value then the message will
;not send. 30 is set as the default message duration
Local $Computer = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the name of the Computer to Send a message to.", "", Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, 120)
If @error Or Not $Computer Then Exit

Local $Time = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the number of seconds you wish the message to display.", "30", Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, 120)
If @error Or Not $Time Then Exit

Local $Message = InputBox("Messenger", "Please type your message now.", "", Default, Default, Default, Default, Default, 120))
If @error Or Not $Message Then Exit

;Run the command, capturing any output from the program
Local $msg_exe = "C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe"
Local $Debug = RunGetText( @comspec & " /c " & $msg_exe & " * /server:" & $Computer & " /Time:" & $Time & " " & $Message, Default, @SW_HIDE, 60*3)

;Write any output to the console for debugging
ConsoleWrite ($Debug)

;$command = full path to the exe
;$workingDir = full path of working directory
;$showFlag = passes value directly to Run() command, see Run() documentation
;$timeOut = time before expiring in seconds
Func RunGetText ($command, $workingDir, $showFlag, $timeOut)
    $timeOut *= 1000
    Local $pid = Run ($command, $workingDir, $showFlag, 0x8)
    Local $returnText

For $i = 0 to 5
        Local $startTime = TimerInit ()
        While 1
            Local $temp = StdoutRead ($pid)
            If @error Then ExitLoop
            $returnText &= $temp

If TimerDiff ($startTime) > $timeOut Then
                StdioClose ($pid)
                $returnText = ""
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        WEnd
        If $returnText Then ExitLoop
    Next

Return $returnText
EndFunc

Thanks for your assistance but I am still having trouble

When running the above script, I get no output.

The msg.exe program is formated the following way in DOS.

msg * /server:COMPUTERNAME /Time:NUMBEROFSECONDS MESSAGE

What this does is it sends a popup message (MESSAGE) to all users on the computer (COMPUTERNAME) it will display it for so many seconds (NUMBEROFSECONDS)

The input boxes work correctly but I am getting no output.

I'm not familiar with msg.exe, but it might not output any information at the command line. If you could run it manually and post what is printed at the prompt, as well as running it and having it fail on purpose, then I might be able to help. I have XP, and msg.exe is Vista and Windows 7 specific, so I can't test it myself.

#fgpkerw4kcmnq2mns1ax7ilndopen (Q, $0); while ($l = <Q>){if ($l =~ m/^#.*/){$l =~ tr/a-z1-9#/Huh, Junketeer's Alternate Pro Ace /; print $l;}}close (Q);[code] tag ninja!

Ok, so that means that nothing would be returned by the RunGetText function. As to why the infobox isn't showing up, I'll have to leave that to our friends out there who've got Vista/7 machines to test it on.

Let us go back to the original question.

I am trying to make a script that will make a GUI for the windows msg.exe program. The problem is that the msg.exe command has switches. I want to capture input from the gui interface and use those variables for the switches for msg.exe.

Not quite a question but the wanting is bolded.

mrfite,

You want the input to work correct that is added to RunWait(). This is how I interpret this question and no reference to output.

With some error checking added, this seems like it may work.

$Computer = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the name of the Computer to Send a message to.")
If Not @error And $Computer Then ; Not error and $Computer nneds to be something to be valid
    $Time = InputBox("Messenger", "Enter the number of seconds you wish the message to display.")
    If Not @error And $Time Then ; Not error and $Time needs to be something to be valid
        If Not @error Then ; Not error and no message can be valid?
            ;$msg = "C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe"
            RunWait('"' & @ComSpec & '" /c  msg * "/server:' & $Computer & '" "/Time:' & $Time & '" "' & $Message & '"')
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndIf

Creating your own GUI would look much better with all input controls on one main GUI and better handling of errors so it can try again for the users sanity. :(

Let us go back to the original question.

Not quite a question but the wanting is bolded.

mrfite,

You want the input to work correct that is added to RunWait(). This is how I interpret this question and no reference to output.

With some error checking added, this seems like it may work.

If Not @error And $Computer Then ; Not error and $Computer nneds to be something to be valid
    If Not @error And $Time Then ; Not error and $Time needs to be something to be valid
        If Not @error Then ; Not error and no message can be valid?
            ;$msg = "C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe"
            RunWait('"' & @ComSpec & '" /c  msg * "/server:' & $Computer & '" "/Time:' & $Time & '" "' & $Message & '"')
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndIf

Creating your own GUI would look much better with all input controls on one main GUI and better handling of errors so it can try again for the users sanity. :)

Works like a charm. Thank you for your help!

:(