How to extract text from a batch of binary files?

frew

Hello. I'm looking for a way to extract text from a bunch of binary files.

Let's say I have an audio project files that are corrupted and I want to see what wav files the projects would have loaded. I open the binary file into a regular text editor...I see a bunch of unreadable stuff, and mingled in there I see some readable text, the names of the wav files used in the project.

If I have a bunch of these files and, instead of opening each one individually and hunting for the text that contains the wav file names, and manually copying and pasting these names into a text file, I thought...hmmm...I wonder if and AutoIt script could be made that would just go through a bunch of these binary files and put all the human readable text it finds into text file that I could look over.

Thanks for any ideas about this. I don't know if AutoIt functions deal with binary files. I mainly have fun making little scripts that do repetitive text editing, etc.

Thank you,

frew

Probably using regular expressions - StringRegExp()

I'm lousey at them, but anyone who is willing to help would need an example of the text with the string you want to extract.

A sample, not the whole file.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks for the idea JohnOne. I'm not sure how to use RegExp.

I would love to point the script at a folder of files and just have one text file be created that contains all the text (strings, string data?) that is in the binary files...not really extract it, but just copy all the human readable, regular language text out of the binary files, placing that text into a single text file for me to look over.

Thanks for any other ideas.

frew