Sign in to follow this  
ModemJunki

Reading run key under Win 7 x64

I need to get the contents of a key in Windows 7 64-bit.

But I end up with an errorlevel of -1 with code below.

What am I doing wrong?

$var1 = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "nwiz")
$var2 = @error

If Not $var2 = 0 then MsgBox(4096, "Error", "Errorlevel is " & $var2)
If $var2 = 0 then MsgBox(4096, "Value is ", $var1)

Always carry a towel.

@error -1 means "unable to open requested value"...Are you sure that there is a "nwiz" value in the registry key?

Also, I would just use "If $var2 <> 0"

@error -1 means "unable to open requested value"...Are you sure that there is a "nwiz" value in the registry key?

Also, I would just use "If $var2 <> 0"

Yep, the key value is there in regedit. This could be a WoW3264 thing, now that I think about it, where the 64 bit OS is somehow redirecting the registry reads.

I'm not a programmer, so I dunno.

Sloppy if not/if is result of me doing a WTF when this didn't work, the actual code would read string and compare to another variable then change it only if needed.

Always carry a towel.

You are correct about that..this shows what values are in the the key

$Count = 1
While 1
    $Val = RegEnumVal("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", $Count)
    If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
    MsgBox(4096, "Value is ", $val)
    $Count +=1
WEnd
Perhaps you can scroll through this list and check for your Value name. Incidentally, regedit shows "BCSSync" as the only value in my HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, but it does not show up in this list. I even tried regedt32 with the same results

You are correct about that..this shows what values are in the the key

$Count = 1
While 1
    $Val = RegEnumVal("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", $Count)
    If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
    MsgBox(4096, "Value is ", $val)
    $Count +=1
WEnd
Perhaps you can scroll through this list and check for your Value name. Incidentally, regedit shows "BCSSync" as the only value in my HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, but it does not show up in this list. I even tried regedt32 with the same results

Thanks. I fired up an XP 32-bit box to do some experimenting and my original code snippet works there without problem.

I have the same result with your code - there are other values in the key, but not the ones I see in regedit. The values being shown are in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Even RegistryWorkshop reads the key like it was a normal key.

I'm stumped.

Always carry a towel.