_SoundOpen Doesn't Work

RealisT

Windows XP Home - SP3

Tried to run the sample script given in the AutoIt documentation for the function _SoundOpen(). I get error code 1 with the explanation "There is a problem with the device driver."

What device?

What driver?

What do either of these have to do with launching Windows Media Player?

All I know is that I can manually launch WMP 11 just fine. So why can't AutoIt do it?

Thanks

• Moderators

RealisT,

A few people recently have been reporting this problem. :(

What type of file are you trying to open and what is its full path? Does it play with the native SoundPlay command (note NO underscore)? :graduated:

M23

Edit: Added a question.

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I'm using the given sample script, and it uses a standard Windows wav file:

@WindowsDir & "\media\Windows XP Startup.wav"

SoundPlay plays this file just fine.

I confess I don't understand the suggestion:

"Press [Jump to Function Prod] (CTRL+J) and you will see MCI."

Press CTRL+J where? (i.e., in what app?) CTRL+J does nothing relevant in WMP, IE, or SciTe.

WMP or not, my question still stands: what device or driver is needed to open a sound file? The files themselves open just fine manually. So is this really a device/driver problem after all?

Thanks

• Moderators

RealisT,

As you are trying to play a "\Media" file with spaces in the name, try the quick fix for _SoundOpen I posted here. :graduated:

So far we have only noticed the problem on Vista and Win7, perhaps there is a new driver which affects XP as well. Please let us know how you get on. :(

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

RealisT,

Sorry we could not help. It is probably no consolation to you to know that it works fine for me. :graduated:

M23

Spoiler

The issue is occurring regardless of file location and regardless of spaces in the filename.

Guess I'll have to wait for the next AutoIt release.

Wait, if you don't have the problem that is fixed, then what are you waiting for? And if you had it, then Melba linked to the solution. I don't see anything to wait for. :graduated:

You confuse me.

Edit: Waaaait some more. Was the only file you tried? Is that the original file from Microsoft? Couldn't it just be that this particular file is bad somehow? You should try some random files in different locations, if all fails then I would assume that MCI or your soundcards driver is broken somehow. Try updating DirectX and sound driver.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

I have tried different files, different paths, different filenames (w/ or w/o spaces). I have tried both native and homemade files. The problem does not lie with the files. Nor can I blame the sound card; sounds are generated just fine on my system, and the files play fine, too, when opened in any way except through AutoIt.

BTW, the files play OK programmatically via VBA.

I am unfamiliar with the MCI. Would that be a generic dll file which can simply be repaired or replaced? Would fixing this affect other software's functionality?

Looks like addressing the MCI or DirectX are next best options...

(Don't mean to confuse anyone by saying I'll have to wait for a new AutoIt release. At this point, forums historically 'give up the chase' for the problem and start telling me to 'buy new hardware', 're-install windows', and nonsense like that. So either I wait for a new AutoIt release with modified _SoundOpen functionality or something unusual happens to resolve the issue.)

Thanks, everyone.

• Moderators

RealisT,

As AdmiralAlkex has pointed out, the next AutoIt release will just incorporate the quick fix I linked you to - so do not pin your hopes on that. :D

As I pointed out above a few people have had this problem lately, but we are no closer to finding a solution that we were at the beginning. That is why he suggested looking at your DirectX and sound drivers.

The Sound UDF uses the Media Control Interface (MCI) to do everything, via the mciSendStringW function within winmm.dll. So I can only imagine that there is something different (note I did not say wrong) about the MCI on the setups that cannot use the UDF. :(

If you ever do find a solution, please let us all know. :graduated:

M23

Spoiler

This is wrong.

RealisT need to post a simple reproducer. Upon that he will be properly advised on what to do to make the script work as intended.

Saying that something doesn't work without actually posting the code (and attempts on fixing) is adding to many new variables to an equation that should have maybe only two.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

All,

The code IS in fact provided in this thread; as stated earlier, this is the example code given on the _SoundOpen page of the online AutoIt documentation.

I have given many links to this, but the URL is http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/libfunctions/_SoundOpen.htm. Only the filenames have changed, though the given filename was tried, too.

Thanks

This plays music for me

#include <Sound.au3>

;open sound file : must be modified if run under Vista
$sound = _SoundOpen(@WindowsDir & "\media\Windows XP Startup.wav")
If @error = 2 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "The file does not exist")
    Exit
ElseIf @extended <> 0 Then
    $extended = @extended ;assign because @extended will be set after DllCall
    $stText = DllStructCreate("char[128]")
    $errorstring = DllCall("winmm.dll", "short", "mciGetErrorStringA", "str", $extended, "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($stText), "int", 128)
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "The open failed." & @CRLF & "Error Number: " & $extended & @CRLF & "Error Description: " & DllStructGetData($stText, 1) & @CRLF & "Please Note: The sound may still play correctly.")
Else
    _soundplay($sound, 1)
EndIf
_SoundClose($sound)

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

This is not the same issue as the one(s) already identified by other people relating to filenames.

The filenames are fine. The paths and filenames have no spaces, they have no special characters. They are short. They are not native Windows files. They are not in Windows or in Windows\Media folders but in folders of my own creation (again, no spaces, no special characters, no length concerns at 30 characters or so). Example: "C:\PaulsHTML\AudioVisual\DoubleTake.wav". Unless the function can't handle capitalization, the names & paths are not the problem.

I do believe this is a separate issue, I'm sorry to say.

Thanks

is the wav small enough to post, maybe the container is malformed? having it succeed or fail at someone elses hands may shed more light on the issue.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

$sFile = FileOpenDialog("Choose File", @ScriptDir, "All Files (*.*)")
If Not $sFile Then Exit

MciPlay($sFile)

Sleep(3000); plays 3 seconds then closes

MCI_Command('stop', 'mySound')
MCI_Command('close', 'mySound')

Func MciPlay($media)
    Local $Init = MCI_Command('open', '"' & $media & '"', 'alias mySound')
    If @error = -1 Then ErrorMsg(-1); dll error
    If $Init <> 0 Then ErrorMsg(1); On "OPEN" <-- WINMM doesn't recognize the media
    $Init = MCI_Command('play', 'mySound', 'notify')
    If @error = -2 Then ErrorMsg(-2); dll error
    If $Init <> 0 Then ErrorMsg(2); winmm error
    ErrorMsg(0); Success
EndFunc

Func MCI_Command($command = '', $alias = '', $string = '', $MCI_Rtn = '')
    Local $MCI_Msg = DllCall("winmm.dll", "dword", "mciSendStringW", "wstr", $command & ' ' & $alias & ' ' & $string, "wstr", $MCI_Rtn, "uint", 128, "ptr", 0)
    ;$MCI_Msg = DllCall('winmm.dll', 'long', 'mciSendStringA', 'str', $command & ' ' & $alias & ' ' & $string, 'str', $MCI_Rtn, 'long', 128, 'long', 0)
    If @error Then Return -1
    If $MCI_Msg[0] <> 0 Then Return -2
    SetError(0)
    Return 0
EndFunc

Func ErrorMsg($eMsg)
    MsgBox(8256, 'MCI', 'Error Message: ' & $eMsg); If error 1, bad media or winmm has no codec for it
EndFunc

; NOTE: There ARE different types of wavefiles and each has it's own codec

- Edit - Tip: You can convert the file to something that winmm will recognize - perhaps an mp3. - (smaller too)

Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

By request, attached is one of the sound files which does not open with SoundOpen (which is all of them).

This is an mp3, to demonstrate that the issue is not related to filetype (in terms of extension). All files tested open OK manually and open programmatically OK with other languages, but not via AutoIt.

I am convinced that the problem is not related to choices of file or filename, and no one has given me reason to think otherwise yet. Still, I know little about "containers" of sound files, so perhaps something is awry with them after all. But if that's the case, then it is the case with every sound file I have, whether is was acquired or created by me. No offense, but an AutoIt function quirk is far more likely.

Thanks

Flippy.mp3