File Flush [SOLVED]

Revolter

• Moderators

Revolter,

This is the hobbyist's answer - I hope it suffices! :(

Windows does not always write an amended file directly to disk - it may well be reading another file for the moment and so the disk heads are in use. So it puts the amended file contents into a buffer to write later when it has more time and the disk heads are free. Closing a file will force the buffer contents to be "flushed" - that is written to the disk immediately.

If you are doing lots of very large file writes and reads, you may find that the file you thought you had amended has not yet had the changes written to it as Windows was too busy. Using FileFlush will force the file to be written to disk - or "flushed" from the buffer.

I have only come across this very rarely (the last time was a few months ago when I was trying to use an ini file for interscript communication) - the faster CPUs and disks used nowadays tend not to have this problem.

All clear? :graduated:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Revolter,

This is the hobbyist's answer - I hope it suffices! :(

Windows does not always write an amended file directly to disk - it may well be reading another file for the moment and so the disk heads are in use. So it puts the amended file contents into a buffer to write later when it has more time and the disk heads are free. Closing a file will force the buffer contents to be "flushed" - that is written to the disk immediately.

If you are doing lots of very large file writes and reads, you may find that the file you thought you had amended has not yet had the changes written to it as Windows was too busy. Using FileFlush will force the file to be written to disk - or "flushed" from the buffer.

I have only come across this very rarely (the last time was a few months ago when I was trying to use an ini file for interscript communication) - the faster CPUs and disks used nowadays tend not to have this problem.

All clear? :graduated:

M23

interscript communication?? awesome ...

:D:D:D thnkx a lot ... in the autoit help said "flushes the file to disk" but i didn't knew what flush means so it was useless ...

Edited by Revolter

[center]Sorry for my bad english. Trying my best :Dhttp://iulianonofrei.comhttp://www.last.fm/user/Revolt666 [/center]