Is it possible to make an insert function for an array in O(log n)?

Mithrandir

I like Melba23's approach better than a long string. Remember with strings you'll run into string length limit and other problems.

(Edit: .. and other problems .. that's a simple statement to make that will always be valid)

Yes, I forgot to say that Melba23 method is a good ploy to use:

Mithrandir,

If I have no idea how many elements an array will contain, I limit the number of very expensive ReDim calls like this (taken from my RecFileListToArray UDF):

; Start by declaring the array with a suitable number of elements and a count in the [0] element
Local $asReturnList[100] = [0]

; Then add elements by using a function like this:
Func _RFLTA_AddToList(ByRef $asList, $sValue)

; Increase list count
    $asList[0] += 1
    ; Double list size if too small (fewer ReDim needed)
    If UBound($asList) <= $asList[0] Then ReDim $asList[UBound($asList) * 2]
    ; Add value
    $asList[$asList[0]] = $sValue

EndFunc   ;==>_RFLTA_AddToList

; And finally remove any unused elements with a last ReDim
ReDim $asReturnList[$asReturnList[0] + 1]

This way you get to a 6000 element array with only 7 ReDims (200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 6000). Of course, you can reduce this number further by increasing the expansion factore for each ReDim. :shifty:

This is a fairly standard coding ploy in my experience. :P

M23

But as I said, if you know that each element you're going to store is no longer than 132 characters you can store the same amount than in an array of 16 million elements (the lenght limit for a string is around 2 billion characters) and honestly, you rarely reach these limits, so if you're not collecting large amounts of data and you want to optimize execution time it is a good alternative. I'm curious to know what are the other problems with strings? I mean if you use a well formed regular expresion (or just stringinstring) while 'surrounding' the elements with non printing characters (ascii code =< 30) there shouldn't be any confusion.

Obviously, this should be a good alternative if concatenating two strings is an O(1) (constant) operation. Is it?

George,

But if you have no idea of the final size of the array and want to add elements what else can you do than use ReDim? Declare a 16 million element array (AutoIt limit) initially and accept the memory overhead? :x

M23

I would also like to know the same.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post is empty Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

127.99~ = 2147483647(max string) / 2^24(max array elements, 16777216)

Thanks for the correction :x , I did my maths based on the info from the FAQ of Autoit Help File which says an array in autoit can store 16 million elements:

15. What are the current technical limits of AutoIt v3?

Here are details of the current technical limits of AutoIt. Please note that some of the limits are theoretical and you may run into performance or memory related problems before you reach the actual limit.

Maximum length of a single script line: 4,095

Maximum string length: 2,147,483,647 characters

Number range (floating point): 1.7E–308 to 1.7E+308 with 15-digit precision

Number range (integers): 64-bit signed integer

Hexadecimal numbers: 32-bit signed integer (0x80000000 to 0x7FFFFFFF)

Arrays: A maximum of 64 dimensions and/or a total of 16 million elements

Maximum depth of recursive function calls: 5100 levels

Maximum number of variables in use at one time: No limit

Maximum number of user defined functions: No limit

Maximum number of GUI windows: No limit

Maximum number of GUI controls: 65532

So is parsing strings faster than looping through an array?

I think this is a good question to which there may be no definitive answer. If you are searching just for a single character, then my guess is that there won't be much difference. However if both the array elements and the search pattern are strings of more than one character, then searching the array ought to be quicker. Maybe you can speed up the string search with regexp. It's an interesting thing to test. Edited by czardas

I think this is a good question to which there may be no definitive answer. If you are searching just for a single character, then my guess is that there won't be much difference. However if both the array elements and the search pattern are strings of more than one character, then searching the array ought to be quicker. Maybe you can speed up the string search with regexp. It's an interesting thing to test.

I will do that test as soon as I can :x And what do you think of concatenating two strings? Is that an order 1 ( O(1) constant time) operation? If so it would be a good alternative to save time when using a stack or queue because if you use an array for those, as it has been pointed, each time you do an _ArrayAdd there's a call to the 'expensive' ReDim.

A regEx would be faster than _ArraySearch() but it also depends on the possibility that you need to know what elements contain a given string. In that case you may be looking at _ArrayFindAll()

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I guess different approaches should be used to suit the particular requirements. I sometimes use strings with delimiters instead of an array. For example if I wish to see if two arrays are identical, it is faster to just compair two strings, rather than testing each of the elements.

Heh, filling each element with "string" results in ~1.5 GB of memory :)

But my point was that creating an array that's big enough to accommodate the largest possible set of data you might use is not out of the question from a performance or memory standpoint. For example creating a 1,000,000 element array to hold the paths of all files on a drive... that's way more than you need, and even if you have 1,000,000 files, the resulting array only takes ~95 MB of memory.

Edited by wraithdu

This makes me wonder why ReDim is expensive to begin with.

Maybe because it is like in a linked list that it has to go element by element throughout the pointers until the last one and there make a 'new(element)', 'element.following = NIL' ? I don't know if arrays in autoit behave internally as a linked list without a pointer to the last element or as a dynamic array

There are a few things that confuse me about how arrays work. I imagine the varied nature of arrays has some bearing on the speed of Redim. Perhaps one dimensional arrays should call a different function. I also don't understand why assigning one array equal to another should be any faster than declaring an empty array of the same size. To me that doesn't make any sense. There is some discussion of this here: The thread has some comical moments of revalation.

Edited by czardas

Maybe because it is like in a linked list that it has to go element by element throughout the pointers until the last one and there make a 'new(element)', 'element.following = NIL' ? I don't know if arrays in autoit behave internally as a linked list without a pointer to the last element or as a dynamic array

I don't know either from the top of my head, but the relevant AutoIt source code has been made available here:

If you're into this sort of low level thing, and by the look of your original post I can see that you are, the source code is definitely worth checking out.

About the price...

Shrinking the array causes every ditched variant of that array to be freed. This is a must.

I can (let me) assume that increasing the size calls initialization function for every new element. But :) this is done when that element is initially accessed. Therefore no initialization should be done for new elements if ReDim increases the size. Only bound should change.

Redim to increase the size should be, even much, faster than when done to decrease. If it's not than either my or somebody else's logic is wrong.

Edited by trancexx

About the price...

Shrinking the array causes every ditched variant of that array to be freed. This is a must.

I can (let me) assume that increasing the size calls initialization function for every new element. But :) this is done when that element is initially accessed. Therefore no initialization should be done for new elements if ReDim increases the size. Only bound should change.

Redim to increase the size should be, even much, faster than when done to decrease. If it's not than either my or somebody else's logic is wrong.

Very good post. I had a look at the source code, what the AutoIt source is doing when it encounters a ReDim. Internally AutoIt uses a one dimensional array of pointers to vector types. Even when multidimensional arrays are used in AutoIt.

It creates a new array using the new size with all empty variant types in a similiar fashion to what Dim does. This means that an array is created and for each element in that array the constructor is called. The constructor is empty, so only variables are given default values.

Then it uses ArrayCopy to copy the old array into the new array. For each element in the array it gets a pointer to the element from the old array and puts it in the new array. Because of multi-dimensional arrays defined in AutoIt, and the one dimensional array that is used internally, after every copy element it needs to check if it now needs to copy elements from another dimension.

So, hardly a straight forward ReDim as we seem to think it works.

Disclaimer: All information in this post is taken from the AutoIt source code and falls under the AutoIt source code license. If you use this information for writing new code then it is considered a derivative work based on the AutoIt source code which is not allowed.

Edited by Manadar

I don't know either from the top of my head, but the relevant AutoIt source code has been made available here:

If you're into this sort of low level thing, and by the look of your original post I can see that you are, the source code is definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for that link! but where's the actual autoit source code? I didn't find any file like 'autoit-v3.n.n-src.exe' so I downloaded 'autoit-docs-v3.3.6.1-src.exe' and uncompress it. Now I have the folder 'docs' with the folders 'autoit', 'autoitx' and 'build' but in none of them I found an .au3 file that is like to a source code.

Thanks for that link! but where's the actual autoit source code? I didn't find any file like 'autoit-v3.n.n-src.exe' so I downloaded 'autoit-docs-v3.3.6.1-src.exe' and uncompress it. Now I have the folder 'docs' with the folders 'autoit', 'autoitx' and 'build' but in none of them I found an .au3 file that is like to a source code.

It's called autoit-v3.1.0-src.exe and it's right there. :)

Don't worry about it. Happened to me the first time as well.

Remember that you will only have the older AutoIt source since the source is no longer open. There will be many functions and changes that are not in there but it will be good for a general reference for you.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Remember that you will only have the older AutoIt source since the source is no longer open. There will be many functions and changes that are not in there but it will be good for a general reference for you.

This. I honestly don't give a shit what you guys find in the posted source code. It was written a long time ago and many things - especially the Variant class - has seen many revisions since then. In all likelihood, though, arrays still just use arrays of Variants instead of a list. A list would provide faster growth since no data would need copied, only the bookkeeping is updated to know the bounds are larger. However random access to the array becomes slow. It's a trade-off. Random access is more important as once you populate an array you tend to access it more frequently than you continue to populate it.

I wrote the Linked List class AutoIt uses and it's not used by arrays. Any linked list class that does not store a "tail" reference for quick back insertions is fail. The same applies if the list supports front insertions.