GUICtrlSetData does not update data

Hello

I have been trying to get the GUICtrlSetData command to update the text in a Input control and just cannot seem to get it to work. In my troubleshooting, I can get the text to update if I insert theGUICtrlSetData earlier in the code and manually set the value to something, but if I try to do it after returning from a Sub, it will not. I suspect I have to be missing something very easy.

I've attached a sample of the code. It looks for a *.db file to load. To use it you would need to create a blank *.db file on your hard drive to find.

If anyone can explain why the Input line will not update to the file name after I return from the subroutine, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <Misc.au3>                                             
#include <String.au3>                                               
#include <EditConstants.au3>                                        
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>   
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>

; Important Files to Know
Global $vsFold_Reference=@MyDocumentsDir                            ; My Documents
Global $vsFolderName1                                               ; Path to Folder 1
Global $vsFolderName2                                               ; Path to Folder 2
Global $vsFileName1                                                 ; Path to File 1
Global $vsFileName2                                                 ; Path to File 2
Global $hFolder1                                                    ; Handle for Folder 1
Global $hFolder2                                                    ; Handle for Folder 2
Global $hFile1                                                      ; Handle for File 1
Global $hFile2                                                      ; Handle for File 2

; Declare Local Variables

; Button Handles
Local $bClose                                                       ; Close the Program
Local $bDBtoINI                                                     ; Convert DBMain.DB to INI file
Local $bINItoDB                                                     ; Convert INI file to DBMain.db

; Declare GUI Variables
Local $wMainWin                                                     ; Handle of Window main GUI
Local $mFileMenu                                                    ; Handle of Menu File
Local $iExitItem                                                    ; Handle of SubMenu Exit in File
Local $mHelpMenu                                                    ; Handle of Menu Help
Local $mManageINI                                                   ; Handle of Menu Manage INI
Local $iLoadItem                                                    ; Handle of SubMenu Load
Local $iSyncIniItem                                                 ; Handle of SubMenu for Syncing Data
Local $iSplitBaseItem                                               ; Handle of SubMenu for Splitting Base Station Info out of dbmain.db
Local $iSplitBaseIniItem                                            ; Handle of SubSubMenu for Splitting INI Base Station Info out of dbmain.ini
Local $iSplitBaseDbItem                                             ; Handle of SubSubMenu for Splitting DB Base Staiton Info out of dbmain.db
Local $Msg                                                          ; Variable handling GUI Control

; Declare Program Variables
Local $MsgBoxAns                                                    ; Answer to Message Box

; Start the program
_Main()

Func _Main()
    ; Create GUI
    $wMainWin = GUICreate("Test", 500, 300)

; Create Buttons and Check Boxes
    $bClose = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Close", 390, 140, 90)
    $bDBtoINI = GUICtrlCreateButton("&DB to INI", 390,15,90,45)
    $bINItoDB = GUICtrlCreateButton("&INI to DB", 390,75,90,45)

; Create Main GUI Text
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("File Loaded:", 10, 19, 60, 25)
    $hFile1 = GUICtrlCreateInput($vsFileName1, 75, 17, 300, 27, $ES_READONLY, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Folder Location:", 10, 62, 60, 25)
    $hFolder1 = GUICtrlCreateInput($vsFolderName1, 75, 65, 300, 27, $ES_READONLY, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)

; Create File Menus and Lists
    $mFileMenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu("File")
    $iExitItem = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Exit", $mFileMenu)
    $mManageINI = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Manage Database")
    $iSplitBaseItem = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Split Base Data From", $mManageINI, 1)
    $iSyncIniItem = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Sync Data", $mManageINI, 2)
    $iSplitBaseIniItem = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("INI", $iSplitBaseItem)
    $iSplitBaseDbItem = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("DB", $iSplitBaseItem)
    $mHelpMenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Help")

GUICtrlSetState ($iSyncIniItem, $GUI_DISABLE)
    GUICtrlSetState ($iSplitBaseIniItem, $GUI_DISABLE)

; Show the GUICreate
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    While 1
        $Msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $Msg = $bClose                         ; Pressed the close button
                Exit
            Case $Msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE                ; Corner X pressed
                Exit
            Case $Msg = $iSplitBaseDbItem               ; Split the Db file into separate files with one Base Station
                _ClearAllData($wMainWin)
                GUICtrlSetData($hFile1, $vsFileName1)
                GUICtrlSetData($hFolder1, StringRight($vsFolderName1,54))
                _SelectFile1($wMainWin)
                GUICtrlSetData($hFile1, $vsFileName1)
                GUICtrlSetData($hFolder1, StringRight($vsFolderName1,54))
            Case $Msg = $iExitItem                      ; Exit choses from the Main Menu
                Exit
        EndSelect
    Wend
EndFunc

Func _SelectFile1($wParWin)
; Select the DB1 file to open

; Declare GUI variables
    Local $vsTempFolder                                                                                         ; Temporary Existing Folder Name

;Start Code
    $vsTempFolder = FileOpenDialog("Choose the DBMAIN.DB file to Open", $vsFold_Reference, "dbmain.db (*.db)", 1 + 2, "", $wParWin) ; Select desired dbmain.db
    If @error = 1 Then Return                                                                                   ; If nothing is selected go back to Main Menu

; Extract File and Folder Info
    $vsFolderName1 = StringLeft($vsTempFolder,(StringInStr($vsTempFolder,"\",0,-1)))                        ; Get Folder Name from Filename
    $vsFileName1 = StringRight($vsTempFolder,StringLen($vsTempFolder) - StringInStr($vsTempFolder,"\",0,-1))  ; Get File Name from Filename
    If StringLower(StringRight($vsTempFolder,3)) <> ".db" Then                                                  ; Verify it is a *.db
        MsgBox(1,"Incorrect File Format",$vsDB1FileName & " is not a valid file to convert.  Please make sure the file ends in *.db before attempting to " & _
            "Convert it.",0,$wParWin)
        Return
    EndIf

; Reassign Reference Folder to current folder
    If $vsFolderName1 <> "" Then $vsFold_Reference = $vsFolderName1
EndFunc

Func _ClearAllData($wParWin)
; clear the data out of the existing variables
    $vsFolderName1 = ""
    $vsFolderName2 = ""
    $vsFileName1 = ""
    $vsFileName2 = ""
    $hFolder1 = ""
    $hFolder2 = ""
    $hFile1 = ""
    $hFile2 = ""

EndFunc

Hi jtsteffen,

your handle for the input control may not be accessible if you call it from another function.

Try declaring it as a global variable first. :unsure:

global $i

Func _main()
   $h = GUICreate()
   $i = GUiCtrlCreateInput()
EndFunc

Func _change()
   GUICtrlSetData($i, "New Value")
EndFunc

Edit: Added example.

Edited by Hannes123
Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

• Moderators

jtsteffen,

Your _ClearAllData function destroys not only the data but also the ControlIDs of the Input controls. :unsure:

Just remove these lines:

$hFolder1 = ""
$hFolder2 = ""
$hFile1 = ""
$hFile2 = ""

from the function and all works as it should. :>

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area