Which key did I press?

G'day everyone

Background: I have a new laptop with a slightly weird keyboard layout, and I would like to remap a few keys. Specifically, the left Shift key is halfsized and has a pipe+backslash key next to it (which I want to remap to Shift). Also, there are *two* identical pipe+backslash keys on the keyboard (one next to Shift, and one next to Enter), and I'm hoping that I would be able to remap them individually (to two different functions). Finally, the spacebar is really small, and I hope to remap the AltGr to space so as to extend the space bar a bit.

Need: I need to find out what is the key code for the keys that I want to remap. Is there a way to find out what the key code of a key is when I press the key, without turning the question into a keylogger question? I used to be able to do this but I can't remember how (and I didn't save that script).

Thanks

Samuel (leuce)

What type of keyboard is it? Sometimes you can get the info on their keycodes in a google search. Would make your coding a lot easier and quicker.

Thanks for the response. Actually, I figured out that AHK might do a better job of remapping, and then I discovered that AHK has a keypress history function that was really useful. It turned out that the two identically looking keys have different codes, so I was able to remap the one next to the Shift key to function as an extension of the Shift key, using AHK.