Zip txt and xsl Files

Hi,

I need to zip text and excel files.

I've searched the forum and help file (which only specifices how to install winzip) but could not find what I needed.

Another problem is that I'm not very technical, and the wealth of information threw me off.

So please, be patient with my very basic, silly-sounding questions.

Once a week, same files but newly created, with the same name, in the same path, need to be zipped using winzip.

In the help forum, found this, but again - I don't really understand all the lines.

I don't need a log file or a message box.

Is the loop necessary?

Hope I'm not being to basic here.

Thanks for your patience.

Miriam

#include <Process.au3>

$logfilepath=IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\Options.ini", "LOGPATH", "Logfilepath", @ScriptDir &'\zip.log')

$filestozip=IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\Options.ini", "ZIPFILES", "FilesToZip", 0)

_Zipfiles($filestozip) ; run function

Func _Zipfiles($pathtozip)
$a = FileGetShortName($pathtozip)
$Zipto=IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\options.ini", "ZIPFILES", "WhereToZip","''")
;MsgBox(0,$a,$Pathtozip & ' in _zip func') 
$zipPath='"C:\Program files\WinZip\WZzip"' & ' -m ' & $Zipto & " " & $pathtozip & ' -ybc'
MsgBox(0,"Test ZIPPING",$zipPath)
_FileWriteLog($logfilepath,$zipPath)
$rc = _RunDos($zipPath)
Sleep(3000)

If $rc >=1 Then
_FileWriteLog($logfilepath, "Failed to zip " & " returned an error code of " & $rc)
Else
_FileWriteLog($logfilepath, "Success zipping " & ".zip returned an error code of " & $rc)

Endif
Endfunc

You don't need the log if you are not going to use it - it is useful and personally I don't see any reason to NOT use it.

Only several lines in the script - won't hurt at all.

If you don't want logging - just comment the lines.

The message box is there just to show that the archiving will be done - just comment that and it will be fine.

Is the loop necessary?

Do you mean this?

If $rc >=1 Then

_FileWriteLog($logfilepath, "Failed to zip " & " returned an error code of " & $rc)

Else

_FileWriteLog($logfilepath, "Success zipping " & ".zip returned an error code of " & $rc)

Endif

If you will use the log - it is necessary because it will write the appropriate message (success/fail)

Once a week, same files but newly created, with the same name, in the same path, need to be zipped using winzip

If the file has the same name, same path - when you zip-it it will overwrite the old one - if you want that - then it's OK. If not - you will need to change the name of the archive.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

You don't need the log if you are not going to use it - it is useful and personally I don't see any reason to NOT use it.

Only several lines in the script - won't hurt at all.

If you don't want logging - just comment the lines.

The message box is there just to show that the archiving will be done - just comment that and it will be fine.

Do you mean this?

If you will use the log - it is necessary because it will write the appropriate message (success/fail)

If the file has the same name, same path - when you zip-it it will overwrite the old one - if you want that - then it's OK. If not - you will need to change the name of the archive.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is this how the script is supposed to look like?

#include <Process.au3>

$Hong_Kong_Polytechnic_HKP_New_Journals_Books.txt=IniRead(@C:\Sunday Reports\August-14-2011\FTC & "\Options.ini", "ZIPFILES", "FilesToZip", 0)

_Zipfiles($Hong_Kong_Polytechnic_HKP_New_Journals_Books.txt) ; run function

Func _Zipfiles($C:\Sunday Reports\August-14-2011\FTC)
$a = FileGetShortName($C:\Sunday Reports\August-14-2011\FTC)
$Zipto=IniRead(@C:\Sunday Reports\August-14-2011\FTC & "\options.ini", "ZIPFILES", "WhereToZip","''")
$zipPath='"C:\Program files\WinZip\WZzip"' & ' -m ' & $Zipto & " " & $C:\Sunday Reports\August-14-2011\FTC & ' -ybc'
Endfunc

Thanks,

Miriam

Nope - you have messed up the script.

If you will need to do further work in AutoIt - you better start learning from examples in the help files, also check some tutorials too.

This is how it is supposed to be:

#include <Process.au3>

$filestozip = "full path to file I want to zip"         ;example: "C:\my files\abcd.txt"
$ArchiveName = "full path to archive I want to use"     ;example: "C:\my archive\test.zip"

_Zipfiles($filestozip) ; run function

Func _Zipfiles($sFile)
    $zipCMD = '"C:\Program files\WinZip\WZzip"' & ' -min -a "'& $sFile & '" "'& $ArchiveName & '"'
    $rc = _RunDos($zipPath)
Endfunc

You need to replace file name and archive name and it should work. WinZip command line is for adding the file to the archive - for other options - check WinZip command line parameters.

After you fill in the info, run the script and check the archive, the file should be there.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)