New SciTE4AutoIt3 available with SciTE v2.28

Jos

• Developers

Umm. I mentioned fold.highlight well before Zip. I'm just saying.

God damn old people and their bad memories/eyesight.

Oh shit ...did I hurt your feelings?

Seriously: that is the problem of being in "2 second attention span mode" while travelling and only skimming threads.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

@Jos, OK, had some time today & worked with some of my Au3 code,

did have some instances where highlights are being expanded beyond the closing tag,

& last close tag not folding,( & it did start to annoy me), wrote this small patch to get rid of these issues (attached).

Isn't it just a matter of changing this line:

if ((ch == 'r' && chNext != 'n') || (ch == 'n') || (i == endPos)) {

to

if ((ch == 'r' && chNext != 'n') || (ch == 'n') || (i+1 == endPos)) {

To make sure the logic is process when the last character is read and accomplish what you want?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

@Jos , lol your'e asking me why (straight answer now ..) :) ?

tbh, I (not being a pro) would never have remembered why it is I did it this way, or what was I attempting to fix,

this way I can remember I am trying to workaround to force processing for the line, from looking at the diff alone, & not wonder why.

Another issue I noticed & now thinking would be nice to be fixed, is having code fragments (read: invalid code) inside #CS#CE blocks, without throwing the lexer into a fit & invalidating both folds+highlights ,

(with the added benefit some may find in not scaring a newbie writing invalid code inside the block to death ;) )

Edited by Zip

• Developers

You will have to provide an example of what you really mean here because I am much to OLD to understand all of this. :)

Just for my interest: Why do you even want folding inside of a commentblock? To me a commentblock is a code section I do not want to use at the moment thus is one simple fold.

Hence I have fold.comment=1

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

lol ... old ...right ..... in that case ...

Scite>New>Paste :

#CS
     Switch
;~   EndSwitch ;
#CE

#CS
;~   Switch
     EndSwitch ;
#CE

etc etc ;)

On why do I want this ..

1. Ill give you the medium-short version ...

(you do mean aside from being that kind of person ... cant stand something going funky on me, when It's close to my heart ..on WHY Autoit is close to my heart .. well, I will not bore the whole forum with that.

That means .. I was (& still am) new to Autoit.

which actually means I was new to programming altogether.

With Newbie Scars still fresh, I got to a point that I just cannot continue unless I get a working more friendly Scite,

(note that I was blaming Scite for the Au3 lexer bugs as well ....as every devoted newbie should ..)

which led me to halt my Autoit projects, & do something about that, so here I am.

Bottom Line: Newbies need a fast way of ditching old code/examples & documenting their progress & hiding it, inside the document, (pros like you don't). :)

Edited by Zip

Just because you are new doesn't mean you should do things in a stupid way. This is analogous to what I've said about us as AutoIt developers: Just because we aren't professionals doesn't mean we shouldn't act like them.

It's far easier to learn to do things in a sensible way rather than try to modify the tools to do weird things to accommodate you.

Bottom Line: Newbies need a fast way of ditching old code/examples & documenting their progress & hiding it, inside the document, (pros like you don't). :)

This is stupid. Inside the document? So you don't really know what you're doing and you want to add clutter to that of past failures (and successes)? How is that helpful? Taking notes is one thing but leaving old/bad/broken code in there (even commented out) is only going to confuse the issue days or weeks later. The same can be said of excessive notes attempting to explain all the old/bad/broken code. How much you choose to document your code is up to you but spending time dwelling on bad code is not nearly as useful as learning to write good code. Then you won't need the bad code as reference because you will have good code to look at.

I see.

Heres my take on your view:

Maybe you noticed, I did not say bad code.

you just assumed / inserted it in my words to give your words merit/make a point.

Whatever the intentions you might have had saying what you did, are lost.

overall throughout ,I find the bits you pick & choose to focus on quite puzzling.

Edited by Zip

• Developers

The example you gave will required a lot of logic to start matching paired commands and that is not the way the SciTE lexer/folding works.

Don't know if you have done any debugging of the lexer/folding code, but SciTE only processed a couple of lines around the characters that was changed which mean you never know what Keyword triggered the Fold thus cannot put any logic against it. This is irrelevant whether it is inside of a Comment block.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I see.

Heres my take on your view:

Maybe you noticed, I did not say bad code.

you just assumed / inserted it in my words to give your words merit/make a point.

Whatever the intentions you might have had saying what you did, are lost.

overall throughout ,I find the bits you pick & choose to focus on quite puzzling.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you had a remotely legitimate - if completely misguided - reason. Since that is apparently not the case I think you prove my point for me better than I ever could.

The example you gave will required a lot of logic to start matching paired commands and that is not the way the SciTE lexer/folding works.

Thanks a lot Jos for verifying & commenting on this issue,

when I said "for that to happen, to keep as simple as possible, this should be done regardless ..., " ,

I was afraid there's no way to workaround it but do some kind of additional logic . :)

Don't know if you have done any debugging of the lexer/folding code, but SciTE only processed a couple of lines around the characters that was changed which mean you never know what Keyword triggered the Fold thus cannot put any logic against it. This is irrelevant whether it is inside of a Comment block.

no, have not done any debugging on it, so far, I only figured out what I did by following the code.

Either way, it's in your hands.

Here's what I had in mind in more detail:

My concept of it was, with the lexer being able to do the above,

When inside a #CS/#CE block, using transparency, instead of a single color,

Notes & code examples/variations/Usage instruction can be very clear ,& visually distinctive, just like regular code.

Thinking further, this can further enhance Autoit's code examples.

- if it all appealing, I can probably work out a demo variation of the lexer as an example,

showing a demo document, but chances are implementation will still be needed to be done by a pro.

@Valik > please read the above, & do not address me further regarding anything but the lexer in this thread.

@Valik > please read the above, & do not address me further regarding anything but the lexer in this thread.

On no you didn't. You don't get to tell me what I can or can not address you regarding. If I want to talk to you regarding pickles then I'll damn well do it. Way to bury your head in the sand and prove my point even further, though! You're doing a good job making yourself look less like somebody to be listened to and more like somebody to dismiss off-hand.

As for the lexer stuff... it's a stupid idea that stems from ignorance. Ignorance of what comments and block comments are for as well as ignorance of how SciTE works . That's fine, people do that. The problem I have, though, is three-fold: 1) Your idea makes more work for somebody who already does enough; 2) Your idea benefits nobody but yourself; 3) The idea is non-trivial to implement so stability is put into question for the sake of a feature nobody (but you) wants or will use.

It doesn't matter what I say, though. You're just another person too right to be wrong. Heaven forbid you learn to use things the right way. I guess it's more fun to present stupid ideas to busy people and then ignore some not-so-gentle encouraging to look at your own methods rather than at the tool.

Turtles.

You act & might think, like you hold the crystal ball of people's minds & concepts, but you dont.

In fact I find some of the choices you made in your comments& the pesky issues you chose to focus on, quite alarming.

But I couldn't care less about that.

I do find it unethical you exercising some way too liberal & offending choice of words, just because your'e a mod here,

instead of the other way around.

If you find it an acceptable form of communication & believe it strengthens your view fine.

Just make sure you do not fall into believing people let you get away with it, because your point is a valid one.

You act & might think, like you hold the crystal ball of people's minds & concepts, but you dont.

In fact I find some of the choices you made in your comments& the pesky issues you chose to focus on, quite alarming.

You've yet to prove me wrong. You've yet to share your real reason. The burden of proof is on you, not on me. Your seeming reticence to give the real reason says a lot about that reason. If it was good you would share it. You do not share it so it cannot be very good.

But I couldn't care less about that.

Props for getting the saying right. I don't know how many people say "I could care less". The problem is... that's exactly what you should have said. If you couldn't care less it means you don't care at all which means you wouldn't have replied to the point in the first place.

I do find it unethical you exercising some way too liberal & offending choice of words, just because your'e a mod here,

instead of the other way around.

Because I'm a mod? What does that have to do with anything? I just don't like you (as a result of your posts in this thread). It has nothing to do with being a mod.

If you find it an acceptable form of communication & believe it strengthens your view fine.

Just make sure you do not fall into believing people let you get away with it, because your point is a valid one.

I see nobody rushing to your defense. if I'm really being so bad to you and I'm so wrong to you then somebody would stand up. It's happened before. Sometimes there is merit to what they say - sometimes there isn't. In any case I think the most people are amused to see me back in form. The rest don't care.

You are not the first person to ever come to this forum and say these things. Some of the words are a little bit different but this scenario has played itself out time and time again. You had a stupid idea, you're trying to get others to implement it even though it's not good. You were called out on it and rather than defend yourself you try to paint a bleak picture with you as the victim. Yawn. Snore. Boring. I'm a dick. We all know that. I'm a dick who dislikes people with stupid ideas who try to paint me out as a dick because we are all cognizant of that personality trait in me. Get over it, accept your idea is shit and move on. Better yet learn something from the experience instead of being a boring clone of a hundred people before you. Or be interesting at least. Do something fun and creative so I can ban you and make a clever epithet for you and we can all have a laugh at least. This ho-hum "Valik is bad" non-sense is trite.

I see nobody rushing to your defense.

Is that a invitation ... or are you just looking for someone at which you might have more success at pushing some personal buttons.

As you don't seem to be very successful at that with Zip. (which comments at least have some dept.)

O yea.

Because I'm a mod? What does that have to do with anything?

Well ...

Do something fun and creative so I can ban you

Might explain ...

I see nobody rushing to your defense.

If your dealing with a real dig-head, Go for it, as nobody cares. But pushing it with someone that just resist you personal tainted attacks ... that just makes you look silly.

Well, that it from me.

Have fun you two. (or give it a rest.)

(No need to say I will not react on your (or anyone else) reply's on this. ... Don't want you to have to much fun.)

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...