Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thepaulguy

_XMLGetValue, GUICtrlCreateListViewItem Problem...

8 posts in this topic

I am having a problem with GUICtrlCreateListViewItem. I had this working in another script, but after copying the lines into a new script they don't work? But it still works in the original.....I can't figure out why but it keeps throwing an error when ran that says...

"Error: Subscript used with non-Array variable.

GUICtrlCreateListViewItem( $status[1] & "|" & $station[1] & "|" & $programtitle[1] & "|" & $date[1] & "|" & $start[1] & "|" & $end[1], $listview)

GUICtrlCreateListViewItem( $status^

but if I use

_ArrayDisplay($status, "$status as a 2D array")

it clearly shows that it is an array, and the exact same thing (in my eyes anyway) works in my original script.

Here is the AutoIT script.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <ListViewConstants.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <_XMLDomWrapper.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Dim $status,$contenttype,$version,$station,$year,$month,$date,$start,$end,$programtitle,$genre,$subgenre,$description
Dim $schedulefile,$nodecount
Dim $listview,$button,$msg

$schedulefile = "schedule.xml"

_XMLFileOpen($schedulefile)

$nodecount = _XMLGetNodeCount("/Schedule/Program")

If $nodecount = -1 Then
$nodecount = $nodecount + 1
EndIf

ListView()

Func ListView()
GUICreate("GUI",800,400, -1, -1, -1, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)
$listview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Status|Station|Title|Date|Start|End", 10, 10, 780, 360)
_GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle($listview, BitOR($LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT, $LVS_EX_GRIDLINES, $LVS_NOSORTHEADER))

Do
  $status = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Status")
  ;_ArrayDisplay($status, "$status as a 2D array")
  $station = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Station")
  $programtitle = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Title")
  $date = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Date")
  $start = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Start")
  $end = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/End")
  GUICtrlCreateListViewItem( $status[1] & "|" & $station[1] & "|" & $programtitle[1] & "|" & $date[1] & "|" & $start[1] & "|" & $end[1], $listview)
  $nodecount = $nodecount - 1
Until $nodecount = -1

_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 0, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 1, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 2, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 3, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 4, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 5, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)

$button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Value?", 280, 375, 70, 20)
GUICtrlCreateInput("", 20, 375, 150)
GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED) ; to allow drag and dropping
GUISetState()
Do
  $msg = GUIGetMsg()
  Select
   Case $msg = $button
    MsgBox(0, "listview item", GUICtrlRead(GUICtrlRead($listview)), 2)
  EndSelect
Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
EndFunc ;==>ListView

The contents of the XML file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Schedule>
<Program number="0">
<Status>Waiting</Status>
<Station>1</Station>
<Title>Starsky and Hootch</Title>
<Date>01/02/2012</Date>
<Start>08:50</Start>
<End>09:45</End>
</Program>
</Schedule>

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi thepaulguy,

Welcome to Autoit Forum! when you are using Array related stuffs better use like below to avoid these kind of error messages...

If IsArray($status) Then

else
GUICtrlCreateListViewItem( $status & "|" & $station & "|" & $programtitle[1] & "|" & $date[1] & "|" & $start[1] & "|" & $end[1], $listview)
Endif

Reason: The return value to the variable ($status) may not be a Array so you are getting this error message.

Edited: Tag was not set properly so modified the tag

Edited by Syed23

Thank you,Regards,[font="Garamond"][size="4"]K.Syed Ibrahim.[/size][/font]

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Thank you for replying Syed23.

I understand we should always have some kind of error handling or a way to check if it is returning what we expect it to. i.e., a MsgBox or in the case of an array, an _ArrayDisplay. Which I have done in this case and it clearly shows that it is an array with the following contents.

[0]|1

[1]|Waiting

So why then , is $status[1] or any of the other arrays in that GUICtrlCreateListViewItem for that matter producing an error.

Edited by thepaulguy

Because when I run that script with your xml file, I get nothing returned from any of the _XMLGetValue functions except an error. Are you sure that [@ is how to escape a space character? Not familiar with XML so I'm not sure.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BOOM! Got it. In the original script that it was working in I had changed the $nodecount to add one for reasons that I won't go into here because it doesn't matter.

So, In this case I was adding one to the $nodecount and when going through the Do loop Until $nodecount = -1, It would get to -1 and not have anything to put into the array because there wasn't anymore child nodes in the XML to extract from......

So removing

If $nodecount = -1 Then
$nodecount = $nodecount + 1
EndIf

and changing this

Until $nodecount = 0

Fixed it... Yeah! Thanks Syed23 for giving my mind a quick jolt.

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

BrewManNH, You may not have the _XMLDomWrapper.au3 file installed on your system.

Edited by thepaulguy

That wasn't the error I was getting. Every call to _XMLGetValue was returning -1 and @error was 1.

Your $nodecount variable was set wrong, so I'm not sure how it's working for you as written using that xml file. I had to subtract 1 from $nodecount because the only program number in the xml file is number 0 and nodecount was coming back as 1.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

The finished code looks like this

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <_XMLDomWrapper.au3>

Dim $status,$contenttype,$version,$station,$year,$month,$date,$start,$end,$programtitle,$genre,$subgenre,$description
Dim $schedulefile,$nodecount
Dim $listview,$button,$msg

$schedulefile = "schedule.xml"

_XMLFileOpen($schedulefile)

$nodecount = _XMLGetNodeCount("/Schedule/Program")

ListView()

Func ListView()

GUICreate("GUI",800,400, -1, -1, -1, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)
$listview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Status|Station|Title|Date|Start|End", 10, 10, 780, 360)
_GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle($listview, BitOR($LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT, $LVS_EX_GRIDLINES, $LVS_NOSORTHEADER))

Do
  $status = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Status")
  $station = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Station")
  $programtitle = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Title")
  $date = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Date")
  $start = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/Start")
  $end = _XMLGetValue("/Schedule/Program[@number=" & $nodecount & "]/End")
  GUICtrlCreateListViewItem( $status[1] & "|" & $station[1] & "|" & $programtitle[1] & "|" & $date[1] & "|" & $start[1] & "|" & $end[1], $listview )
  $nodecount = $nodecount - 1
Until $nodecount = 0

_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 0, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 1, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 2, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 3, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 4, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)
_GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 5, $LVSCW_AUTOSIZE)

$button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Value?", 280, 375, 70, 20)
GUICtrlCreateInput("", 20, 375, 150)
GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED) ; to allow drag and dropping
GUISetState()
Do
  $msg = GUIGetMsg()
  Select
   Case $msg = $button
    MsgBox(0, "listview item", GUICtrlRead(GUICtrlRead($listview)), 2)
  EndSelect
Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

EndFunc ;==>ListView

You need to change the Program number=0 to Program number=1 in the XML.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Schedule>
<Program number="1">
<Status>Waiting</Status>
<Station>1</Station>
<Title>Starsky and Hootch</Title>
<Date>01/02/2012</Date>
<Start>08:50</Start>
<End>09:45</End>
</Program>
</Schedule>

Edited by thepaulguy