loop in a loop

Try this version:

#include <File.au3>
; Open the text file and read it ready for writing.

; Prompt the user to run the script - use a Yes/No prompt (4 - see help file)
Local $answer = MsgBox(4, "SPF-Editor", "Warning all SPF's in the .exe's directory will change, ok?")

; Check the user's answer to the prompt (see the help file for MsgBox return values)
; If "No" was clicked (7) then exit the script
If $answer = 7 Then
    Exit
    MsgBox(0, "SPF-Editor", "Buh Bye!")
EndIf

MsgBox(0, "Running", "The program will prompt you when it has finished!")

Local $filer = FileOpen("text.txt", 0)

; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $filer = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file!!")
    Exit
EndIf

; Start finding files for writing.
; Shows the filenames of all files in the current directory
Local $search = FileFindFirstFile("*.spf*")

; Check if the search was successful
If $search = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Eeeeeroar!!")
    Exit
EndIf
Global $Text = "3" & @CRLF, $Array
Local $line = FileRead($filer) ; reads the entire file at one time
$Text &= $line ; adds the file to the $Text variable which contains the number 3 and a line feed
FileClose($filer)

While 1
    Local $file = FileFindNextFile($search)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    $Temp = FileOpen($file) ; Opens the file for read
    $read = FileRead($Temp) ; reads the file into $read
    FileClose($Temp) ; close the file
    $read = StringReplace($read, "-1", $Text) ; replace the text -1 with the contents of $Text
    $Temp = FileOpen($file, 2) ; reopens the file, but deletes the contents of it
    FileWrite($Temp, $read); write $read to $File
    FileClose($Temp) ; close the file handle
WEnd
MsgBox(0, "Done", "The script has stopped and your files are edited!")

; Close the search handle mofo
FileClose($search)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

gazeranco,

Did you try BrewmanNH's solution using

[color="#5a5a5a"]$Array[/color][[color="#5a5a5a"]$Array[/color][0] - 2] = [color="#5a5a5a"]$Text

kylomas

Edit: Don't have any idea why the editor freaked out. The line of code I am trying to cite is "$Array[$Array[0] - 1] = $Text" Try changing it to "-2".

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

gazeranco,

Can you post an example of the files that you are working with? The solutions posted by both BrewmanNH and I work against simple text type test files that I created on my PC. However, our solutions assume that lines are delimited by rn and do NOT remove blank lines at the end of the file.

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

the last line in a .spf is "-1" this represents the end of file

Obviously this part isn't right if the -1 doesn't mark the end of the file. If there are more than one -1 in the file, this can't indicate anything to the program reading it that deals with EOF.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator