iTunesDismissAnnoyingWiFiSyncError

lairdb

Since Apple introduced iOS 5's wireless sync feature, a significant population of users has encountered an annoying and persistent error that causes iTunes (and the users) fits. I've written a tray-resident automatic dismisser.

Here's the post that will go into the main Apple complaint thread:

#cs draft forum posting for https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3399156

I like having WiFi sync available, even if it's not behaving and self-invoking quite as expected. So, on the theory that the error is annying, and probably means a sync has failed to start, but is otherwise benign -- except that it blocks further iTunes function:

I have written an utility (using AutoIt) that watches for the specific error and clicks OK to dismiss it. I've been running it for several days now, and it seems to work fine.

Specific notes and disclosure:

- It lives in the tray, as a little blue musical note; primary click gives you 'Exit' and 'Check for update' options.

- It anonymously reports usage to me, just for my own interest. It reports a machine hash as a unique (but non-reversible) ID, starts and stops, and the number of times it has dismissed the annoying message.

- All reporting can be disabled by invoking the exe with '-nousage' on the command line.

- It anonymously checks for updates (but does not auto-install them.) The '-nousage' switch also disables the update check, though it can still be invoked from the tray icon.

- It watches for 'iTunes could not connect to this i' and 'because an unknown error occurred (0xE80000' in the same window, and clicks OK.

- If it is unable to dismiss the error, it exits with a message, rather than get into an endless cycle.

- It does have to bring the error window to the foreground in order to dismiss it. This could theoretically be disruptive to you, if it happened during interactive use. My own experience it that it happes when I'm in another room, connecting or disconnecting the phone from a separate power brick, but YMMV.

Use at your own risk, no responsibilty, YMMV, do not taunt Happy Fun Ball, etc.

Feel free to download and use; comments and suggestions welcomed.

#ce

Interesting. I wrote this post to have a convenient and reputable place to host to file, and to try to help AutoIt by drawing people here from the Apple forum -- but 64K upload limit is kinda small to post an exe, and there's nothing explaining quota anywhere in help or wiki or FAQ. Oh well.

Interesting. I wrote this post to have a convenient and reputable place to host to file, and to try to help AutoIt by drawing people here from the Apple forum -- but 64K upload limit is kinda small to post an exe, and there's nothing explaining quota anywhere in help or wiki or FAQ. Oh well.

The forum itself is not meant to host executables, but scripts. Maybe the downloads-section fits your needs.

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Hmm -- that confuses me, since there's a pinned post talking about how people aren't required to release source. What is it that's being posted here, if it's not source?

(The "Downloads" section, incidentally, just says "You cannot upload a new file".)

Edited by lairdb

Hmm -- that confuses me, since there's a pinned post talking about how people aren't required to release source. What is it that's being posted here, if it's not source?

The forum is no hosting service for large files, especially not for beginners. My positiona allows me some more space, but it is not much either. Most peple have some webspace of their own (there are also freehosters) or use designated filehosters.

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

There is a limit to prevent people from registering just to post/ crap. A lot of I assume that larger uploads will too. I assure you that posting exe-files is no problem, although you would only fit a handful in your 2MB storage space. But there's always Downloads or off-site storage after that... Edited by AdmiralAlkex