Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hackersarchangel

Issue with FindFirstFile loop

3 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

EDIT!!! See code below for solution. I had to Return the variable to outside the function.

Ok so I'm having an issue with AutoIt retaining a variable value from a function. This is the scratchpad code I came up with based on the example in the help file.

If you run the code, it finds the file in the directory specified while in the function. When I exit the function to go into the next part, which is executing the file, the variable is blank.

I did a quick search thinking that all I needed was to make the variable global, but that did not work. So I then declared it Global while in the function and that did not work as well. I'm basically making a tool I can run on multiple machines to help keep them updated, from a server share. I can copy the files down no problem, I'm just looking for a way for it to remember the name of the .exe it pulled and run it with the switches for silent/unattended updates. I have another method, but it's much more complex and bulky in comparison to this because it uses FileInstall to extract the files, then it runs the update tool manually at user request, then runs the updates, and finally it rebuilds itself if updated. Works great if you need an offline option but I'm going for K.I.S.S. with this one.

$program = $Searchdir & "AdbeRdr*.exe"
Func _Search($program)

;Debugging box
MsgBox(48,"Info",$program)

$search = FileFindFirstFile($searchdir & $program)
; Check if the search was successful
If $search = -1 Then
MsgBox(0, "Error", "No files/directories matched the search pattern")
Exit
EndIf
While 1
$file = FileFindNextFile($search)
$run = $file
If @error Then ExitLoop

;Debugging box
MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file)

; !!! The solution !!!
Return ($file)
WEnd
EndFunc

;Checking to make sure the variable remained intact
;This is where it fails because it's not retaining the value needed.
MsgBox(48,"Info","File is: " & $file)
Edited by hackersarchangel

Where is the variable $file declared, in what scope?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Your code does not call the function, and without using byref. If the variable is local in the function, you need to use your function in an expression to store or use the variable. e.g. $a=_MyFunc($stuff)

If the variable is global, then you still need to call the function.

Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Atoxis
      By Atoxis
      Howdy, this is my first post, massive fan of autoit. 
      I've searched and tried and I would just like people who are better at this than me to let me know if this is even a thing.

I'd like to perform just a variable. For example, it would be. *see inserted code*
      So what i'm wanting is, create the constant $test, and that variable would be what is followed after the = . Then perform the _FileCreate. Then perform the variable.  Logically or in my head rather.. That variable is declared and is equal to what it is set to above, therefore just placing the variable plainly in the script, it should be equal to what it was declared as.  So what am I doing wrong, and or how can I have autoit just perform the variable.  

#include <File.au3> Const $test = FileWriteLine(@DesktopDir & "\Log.txt", @CRLF ) _FileCreate(@DesktopDir & "\Log.txt") $test  
    • ur
      By ur
      I have a script , during compilation and test execution, it worked perfectly but sometimes I am getting error as "Variable used without being declared."

I understood somewhere in the branching logic this is happening.

But not able to find it exactly.

As I am using multiple include statements.the line number is also not giving accurately.

Can anyone suggest what is the approach to resolve this?
    • TrashBoat
      By TrashBoat
      Is this possible:
      Executing a function from an include, but taking the function name from a gui input and then executing that function using the include:
      #include <Something.au3> ;input reads "Tree" $functionName = GuiCtrlRead($input1) $functionName(1) And the include is gonna have
      Func Tree($x) If $x = 1 Then $this = "text" MsgBox(0,$this,"whatever") EndFunc is it possible?
    • SkysLastChance
      By SkysLastChance
      I keep losing the count of my $r varable when I go into the dropdown () function and call the same function.
      #include <Excel.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> #include<GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include<EditConstants.au3> #include<GUIConstants.au3> Global $iBox, $oExcel, $oWorkbook, $r = 1, $x = 3 HowMany() Excel () Dropdown () Sleep (500) Func Dropdown () $list = GUICreate("Chart", 225, 80) $combobox = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Clinic 1", 10, 10, 120, 20) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "Clinic 2|Clinic 3|Clinic 4") $button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Select", 10, 40, 60, 20) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1 $guibox = GUIGetMsg() Select Case $guibox = $button Select Case GUICtrlRead($combobox) = "Clinic 1" GUIDelete($list) Auto () EndSelect Case $guibox = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE EndSelect WEnd EndFunc Func HowMany() Local $iMsg While 1 ;~ Turn input into a number $iBox = Number(InputBox ("Regestration", "How Many Patients are there total?")) ;~ If user enters a string or cancels then get them to try again If $iBox = 0 Then $iMsg = MsgBox(1,'Regestration', 'Please enter a valid number') If $iMsg = 2 Then Exit Else ExitLoop EndIf WEnd EndFunc Func Excel() While ProcessExists("EXCEL.EXE") $ms = MsgBox(5,"","Process error. You have an Excel sheet open. You must close it in order to let this program work. Please close it now.") If $ms=2 Then Exit ;~ Doesn't require sleep since the script is paused by the MsgBox above ;~ Sleep(250) WEnd ;~ Shouldn't use Global Scope inside functions moved to top of script Local $sExcelFile = FileOpenDialog("Choose/Create Excel File", @ScriptDir, "(*.xlsx)") If FileExists($sExcelFile) Then ;~ Shouldn't use Global Scope inside functions moved to top of script $oExcel = _Excel_Open () $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel,$sExcelFile) ;this will open the chosen xls file. Else $oExcel = _Excel_Open() $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookNew($oExcel, 2);this is here to create the xls file if it does not exist. EndIf EndFunc Func Auto() Local $aArray1 = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook) ;~ If $iBox is greater than no. of rows in $aArray then $iBox equals the number of rows in $aArray If $iBox > (UBound($aArray1) - 1) Then $iBox = UBound($aArray1) - 1 For $i = 2 To UBound($aArray1) - 1 ;$i =0 Start from row A If $aArray1[$i][1] = "" Then Continueloop $sR0 = $aArray1[$i][0] ;status $sR1 = $aArray1[$i][1] ;Last Name $sR2 = $aArray1[$i][2] ;First Name $sR3 = $aArray1[$i][3] ;DOB $sR4 = $aArray1[$i][4] ;Sex $sR5 = $aArray1[$i][5] ;Mailling Address $sR6 = $aArray1[$i][6] ;Zip $sR7 = $aArray1[$i][7] ;Phone # $sR8 = $aArray1[$i][8] ;Visit Reason $sR9 = $aArray1[$i][9] ;Insurance $sR10 = $aArray1[$i][10] ;Clinic $sR11 = $aArray1[$i][11] ;Provider $sR12 = $aArray1[$i][12] ;Appt Time $sR13 = $aArray1[$i][13] ;Appt Date WinWaitActive ("Untitled - Notepad") ControlSend("Untitled - Notepad", "", "", $sR1 & ',' & $sR2 & @CR) $r += 1 If $r > $iBox Then Exit Dropdown () Next EndFunc so the second time I choose clinic 1 I want it to go to the next row which would be Champ brett in my example excel.

Test.xlsx
      Example Format.xlsx
    • TheDcoder
      By TheDcoder
      Hello everyone, I discovered a bug yesterday and I posted it at the bug tracker:
      I also made a simple script which can be used to reproduce the bug:
      CreateVariable() ConsoleWrite($sGlobalVariable & @CRLF) Func CreateVariable() Global $sGlobalVariable = "Foobar" EndFunc The bug was closed by @BrewManNH:
      While I partially agree with the above statement, My code was not practical enough... so @mLipok advised me to create a thread on the forums with practical code (Thanks!). That is the point of this thread, I am going to provide the code where I experience this bug/problem .
      I discovered this bug when I was working on one of my projects called "ProxAllium". When the main script finishes execution, Au3Check throws a nasty warning about "variable possibly used before declaration":

As you can see, the variable is indeed being used after calling the function in which the variable is declared... The warning won't appear if I declare the function ABOVE the variable. As @BrewManNH said, Au3Check reads line by line... I think this should be changed, Au3Check should not throw warnings if the interpreter is able to run the code, at least most of the time anyway!
      So what do you guys think? Is this a valid bug?... and I request those who participate in the discussion not to discuss the code being "poor", that is another thing/thread in itself
      P.S I had already written this once but the forum editor decided to mess up and when I undid (Ctrl + Z) something... This is a poorly written version of that article, I was very frustrated while writing this!