Is is my imagination or Windows XP is still the best version?

There are things I hate about windows 7.

The way it handled renaming user folders and how it uses libraries, though I personally don't mind it and can make use of libraries, it confuses the shit out of the end users here. Who tend to be older folk who decided they don't want to learn any more.

I actually like the way UAC works, as users are not admins here, if admin rights are needed it often gives a chance to enter credentials rather than mysteriously failing. But software that automatically tries to update like Java can become an annoyance, but it still is better that it prompts so that we write scripts so that stuff stays up to date.

We have a lot a old software 10+ years, and out of several dozen that old, I have only had to resort to XP mode for a couple of them.

Most problems I have had with Windows 7 has been a result of badly designed software not so much Windows itself. EG requiring application files to be accessed in the windows directory.

We have a slow connection, and some drivers are only available through the update service, which is slow as hell for us.

As far as performance goes, I haven't tried to run windows 7 on a machine running low on memory. But it seems to run fine with a slower processor.

I wish there was a Microsoft supported "lean and mean" option when installing windows 7 that would install the bare minimum and then let you add "features" as needed. I still prefer the way most Linux builds handles root(admin)/user seperation though. We would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if it was not for all the MS only venders we already have wormed into our system.

Windows 7 is a lot more "chatty" on the network on a clean install than any OS I have seen which pushes my paranoia buttons.

Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

I resisted Win 7 for the longest time because I didn't like the performance hit on my system. However, I just recently upgraded to an SSD drive and that required Win 7. With SSD, performance is not an issue. My system is now blazing fast on Win 7. I do still prefer XP only because I know it so much better. But times change and we have to change with it. Now I'm not limited to 3.2 GB of memory or 4 cores. When faster hardware gets a little cheaper, I might go with a six core processor and 8 GB of memory.

But but but... what about when you have to test how face-bashing your tablet pc affects your app in W8? XD

I won't have that problem since I will not be running W8; which of course is a dog anyway.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I've installed Windows 7 on one of my laptops and I hate it...

Reversing back to Windows Xp in 2012...am I a little deranged or do others like XP better than Windows 7 even these days?

I once read that about 50% of IT professionals still prefer XP, you guys are all pros, what version do you prefer better?

Cheers!

I also prefer Windows XP because I had several problems with Win7

With 7 I can't adjust text resolution by font, only by percentage and that throws the whole diplay off, on a lot of applications the Submit or Ok button won't even show, I need to change back to 100% versus 125% for some programs....

Maybe I'm missing a setting? But can't seem to be able to work around this, a lot of complaints about this on numerous forums also.

• Moderators

The only option is under Display Settings>>Set Custom Text Size. Drag the ruler to wherever you want it.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I like WinXP. I do not like small letters in Windows Explorer Win7. When measured at 125 - problem: the title is high, the large spacing between lines, and a 32x32 icon is transformed into the size ~ 18x18, look terrible.

When copying files, they are immediately sorted, but I do not need it. After sorting them long to seek to remove.

Unable to create a floating toolbar. I had to write a program ButtonBar.

If you use an image to restore you need to spend a lot of time and a large amount of data.

A couple of major issues, for me, with Windows 7. One is that they completely destroyed Sysprep for the enterprise, I can't have sysprep ask me for a computer name any longer, I can have it give it a generic name, but I can't get it to ask me before naming it what name I want to give it. This means I have to rename the computer after it's been joined to the domain, which means an additional reboot. Also, if I have a script to delete a user's folder on reboot, I use this as a quick way of clearing out the student's crap in the Temp folder and IE cache folder, I can't use it on Win7 because if the folder for a known user doesn't exist, Windows 7 will error out and I have to edit the registry to make it so that user can log in again.

Not a Windows 7 issue, but Adobe Reader absolutely sucks on Win7 x64, it freezes and is slow to open documents.

Other than those issues, I would use Win7 on all my computers over WinXP just because XP is a dinosaur waiting to die, again this is for my uses probably not everyone's.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Yeh, I guess I forgot about one of the worst thing in windows 7. The sysprep is way more difficult to pull off especially when configuring the default user. It is mostly wasted effort, it is much easier to set things in a start-up script and group policy, which is not so good for you guys who do not have access to that.

I also miss having a simple enterprise license. The lack of a simple to manage enterprise license is another reason, as soon as we kind find venders that support linux, we are going to switch. Microsoft has put too many straws on our back and it simply isn't worth it anymore. We may even hire developers, the main problem is we have some aspects that we must have DOD sign off, which is why we currently use venders for some things.

Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

Hi,

I like Win7. Our Company will update from XP to Win7 in Sept./Oct.

Because our IT want avoid problems all Notebook users will get a new one.

That's exact the right time, because my Notebook is already just over 1 year old :-))

br, Reinhard

PS: On my Desktop I have already Win7 (Testuser). Works fine, so far. I installed also Lotus 123 (WK4 - smartsuite '95). No problem. The only problem I see - as normal user - is to get new drivers for older Hardware.

I like Win7 it's been doing nothing but awesome for me. Got it on three different machines and all my friends use it as well. No one has any real problems with it. The only thing that has caused me problems is the stupid Aero junk, but that's as simple as turning it off and boom no more problems.

I got a sweet machine tho so maybe that's why I'm set. Core I7 at 3ghz liquid cooled, 8g of ram, 2 SSD's Agility 3's 60g 1.3 tb of extra space, a radeon 6870 3 displays, G19 keyboard and a razor Imperator.

If interested will post pics I'm proud so what?

A true renaissance man

What did the i7 and mobo cost you? I went with the AMD bulldozer (or FX anyway), 4core 3.6ghz and built the beast for $600. I'd rather have 3 of these then a single i7. Nothing wrong with being proud of the machine, but what did it cost you?

Edited by Xandy

What did the i7 and mobo cost you? I went with the AMD bulldozer (or FX anyway), 4core 3.6ghz and built the beast for $600. I'd rather have 3 of these then a single i7. Nothing wrong with being proud of the machine, but what did it cost you?

No idea about the total cost, as I've had it a while and built it as I had the money available. I got the I7 for free though thanks to some tricks I pulled with a local store around here. Saved me close to 300 bucks there. Video card was my Christmas and birthday gift from my family so that's most of the cost down. I have a friend that was all about the bulldozer but it released with hardly the results they were claiming. everything else still cost me plenty but no idea.

I game alot and I'm a bit of a power junkie so I will likely be getting a whole in rig soon enough.

http://www.techpowerup.com/161963/Core-i7-3770K-quot-Ivy-Bridge-quot-Offers-Solid-Performance-and-Efficiency.html

Sorry if I came off bragging, It's just my computer is my biggest hobby and I am quite proud of it. :robot:

A true renaissance man

Sorry if I came off being an asshole. It's just I need to come up with money for my parts. I decided that the i7 wasn't worth the extra cost, now if monies not a factor the i7 is superior. A free i7 rules, I'd build a machine out of that free part too.

Items Ordered

Ultra GPB400S-B LS Limited Edition ATX Power Supply - 450W, Dual +12V Rail, Ultra Silent, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration (U12-41528)

$29.99

$29.99

Masscool STARS-700 Silver Color Thermal Grease (S457-2646)

$9.99

$9.99

AMD FD4100WMGUSBX FX-4100 Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 3.60GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail (A79-4100)

$119.99

$119.99

ASUS M5A97 EVO AMD 970 AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, AMD CrossFireX Ready (A455-3059)

$119.99

$119.99

Hitachi 0F13180 Deskstar 7K1000.D Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA III (6Gb/s), 3.5", 7200RPM, 32MB (TSD-1000H8)

$139.99

$139.99

Patriot PXD38G1866ELK Viper Xtreme Performance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-15000, DDR3-1866MHz, 9-11-9-27 CAS Latency, XMP Ready (P33-5309)

$56.99

$56.99

Total for all Items:

$476.94

Shipping & Handling:

$6.59

Sales Tax:

$0.00

Grand Total:

$483.53

I think the main problem for me with Windows 7 is the display, a few other guys have had the same problem.

Adjusting font by % instead of pixels just makes it impossible to manage, a usability issue flaw I guess.

With XP I could(can!) completely customize the font of any kind of window. The title bar, the colors and everything else. Now can't customize...

With XP I could(can!) completely customize the font of any kind of window. The title bar, the colors and everything else. Now can't customize...

Windows is starting to lean towards making sure the experience for the user is the same no matter where / what device is used. That's where the percents come in. Makes it easier to program for hugely different displays.

At least that's what I bet.

A true renaissance man