Is AutoIt suitable for...? a newbie overview question...?

We are looking at using AutoIt to make software-packages, deliverables for download/install on an internal site. We currently use WISE, but it is EOL now. I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on - if this is a good idea? Is it robust enough? Or is it better used for scripting-heavy things- and not as good for installations?

For example- we have a SW-package that will install JRE 1.6.0_33 on either/both Windows-XP and/or Windows-7 (64bit). In WISE, we use their 'scripting' parts to determine the local users' O/S, and then either install only 32bit JRE (XP), or install both 32bit and 64bit (Win7). Using that example- is that doable in AutoIt....?? easy? hard?

Switch @OSType
Case "WIN_XP"
  Switch @OSArch
     Case "X86"
      [command for running jre install for Windows XP 32 bit]
     Case "X64"
       [command for running jre install for Windows XP 64 bit]
  EndSwitch
Case "WIN_7"
  Switch @OSArch
     Case "X86"
       [command for running jre install for Windows 7 32 bit]
     Case "X64"
       [command for running jre install for Windows 7 64 bit]
  EndSwitch
EndSwitch

EDIT: Quotes for case statements. Whoopsies =D

Edited by Mechaflash
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

• Moderators

Hi, rkspann, welcome to the forum. As a user of WISE (thankfully only briefly) and a long time AdminStudio user, I can tell you that AutoIt's abilities blow away the native scripting functions in WISE.

Mechaflash has provided you with a great example to get you started with the jre install, but I am curious if you have contacted your WISE rep (or the company directly if you purchased online)? I have been assisting customers in making the move from WISE to Admin Studio all this year; as far as I know they are still offering a 1:1 (exchange your WISE license for a like AdminStudio license) until Nov. 1st. Might be worth looking into, in case you want to do more in-depth application repackaging.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!