Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Djinsanity

USB drive letter assignment in Winpe

4 posts in this topic

I have created a menu which will run in winpe from a USB device, to apply both imagex and Ghost images which are stored on the same device. The problem is the drive letter changes on different machines. I need to either force the usb to have a set letter or discover the drive letter and assign it to the path of the image. can anybody enlighten me on how this can be achieved? I have spent most of the day trying to find a solution.

Djinsanity,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

Perhaps you could use DriveGetDrive to list the removable drives and then look in each one for a unique file or set of files - perhaps using an MD5 hash (Crypt.au3 could help here). :)

Or you could check for the correct USB deviceID- I showed how to do that here. ;)

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Djinsanity,

Without looking at your script I can only assume that you are trying to launch a GUI you created with AutoIT, and just need your WINPE install to call your executable. If this is correct try this out http://4sysops.com/archives/create-a-bootable-windows-pe-3-0-usb-drive-with-rescue-tools-part-2/

Will show you have to get startnet.cmd as part of your WINPE in the system32 folder. If you already have this then just edit the bat be as follows:

wpeinit

YourScript.exe

As long as your script is in the system32 folder there is no need to call f:yourscript.exe

Not sure if I am barking up the right tree but it sounds like a WINPE route that would be best not autoit.

If you got all that hashed out and you are just having a problem calling your wim or gho files then use the @ScriptDir&"yourimage.wim"

Hope that makes sense.

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

$a = DriveGetDrive('ALL')
$m = 'W:'
If FileExists($m) Then
    MsgBox(0, 'Message', 'Drive ' & $m & ' already exists')
    Exit
EndIf
For $i = 1 To $a[0]
    If FileExists($a[$i] & '\Label') Then
        Run('subst.exe ' & $m & ' ' & $a[$i] & '\', @SystemDir , @SW_HIDE)
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next
If $i > $a[0] Then MsgBox(0, 'Message', 'Label not found')

Edited by AZJIO