Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sstbrg

Detecting devices using AutoIt

4 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I want to know how to detect devices (specifically USB devices) upon plug-in and for instance do something (MsgBox would be OK for a start).

Now I did some searching here and concluded that I should do more reading on WMI. 

I did some reading and I understand that I need to monitor events generated by windows.

One of those events might as well be a device being plugged into a USB port (which is what I need to detect).

Alas I only have limited programming knowledge and really no computer science background, so stuff like "rootCIMV2" and objWMIService.ExecNotificationQuery (especially what to write as the string parameter there) got me confused a little.

The topics I found here and elsewhere on the web deal with detecting drives and specifically drive letters but I need to be able to detect any USB device, such as a USB controller or a virtual serial port for instance.

My resources so far:

The topic about detecting drives: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I also found a list of win32 classes on MSDN so that might be helpful as well but I'm still not sure how to implement this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa389273(v=vs.85).aspx

Monitoring Events (MSDN): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa392396(v=vs.85).aspx

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me and smoothen the learning curve...

Edited by sstbrg

Thanks but honestly isn't there a better and simpler way to extract info on USB devices than calling kernel32.dll and writing a thousand lines of code? I mean, just looking at the constants and the hex values which he took from god knows where  rises many questions for me.

If there isn't a simpler way, it's fine, I'll go for it and learn some more... but I don't want to jump into the water unless there's a simpler more elegant route.

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

Afaik this is just how it's done. kernel32 is one of the most basic, if not the most basic, Api Microsoft provides. WMI is just a wrapping framework and I think under the hood also relies on kernel32 calls. And well, everthing's there, you don't have to reinvent the wheel, just strip those parts you don't need.

Edited by KaFu