I know I'm over looking something simple...

Ah, OK. So is everthing working as you want it to?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Ah, OK. So is everthing working as you want it to?

Very close, how would I specify that it only searches for the M47 directly above the first M0 and not every M47 in the file?

also, kylomas and Edano may wanna look at my post previous to this one as i had to heavily edit it with more data

Edited by Wombat

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...

Try this

If StringRegExp ($TextCheck, "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\RN\d+M0", 0) Then

Again what surprises me is that the regexp wants Nxx.xM47 and will not match at NyyM47.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Try this

If StringRegExp ($TextCheck, "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\RN\d+M0", 0) Then
Again what surprises me is that the regexp wants Nxx.xM47 and will not match at NyyM47.

What is NyyM47? if it represents other M47's in the file under after the M0 code then yes is was indeed picking them up and that was my problem I had multiple M47's but not above the M0. So a flag of 0 was returning 1 but it wasn't searching porperly. I'm probably confusing you I'm sorry

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...

i am still not convinced that it will be stable and reliable for special cases. you should thoroughly test it before you use it in a nuclear power plant....

[color=rgb(255,0,0);][font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]FukuLeaks[/color][/font]

I too am sorry: run this by yourself to convince you that this pattern just won't never match NyyM47 but only lines with a decimal point in the first number, like Nxx.xM47.

If StringRegExp ("N01M47" & @CRLF & "N02M0" & @CRLF & "N03M47", "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\R", 0) Then MsgBox(0, "", "Match!")

@Edano:

Which special cases do you have in mind?

Edited by jchd

@Edano:

Which special cases do you have in mind?

it would be better to see more samples. it's only tested on a tiny reproducer .....

[color=rgb(255,0,0);][font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]FukuLeaks[/color][/font]

The number of samples is not the main point. Data format specifications strictly governs how a program must be coded.

The pattern will work as long as the initial data format is NxxMyy (with x and y digits) and doesn't contain Nxx.xM47 lines unless these lines are inserted before the first NxxM0 line. At least, this was the specs exposed until now.

Now that the OP says the regexp matches other lines I suspect there are untold extra rules.

When the M47 code is in the file at all the format is always: Nxx.xM47,

You were right jchd,

Func _On_Drop() ; <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    For $i = 1 To $aDrop_List[0]
        GUICtrlSetData($Input1, $aDrop_List[$i])
    Next
    Local $ReadInput1 = GUICtrlRead($Input1)
    Local $TextCheck = FileRead($ReadInput1)
    Local $CheckM47 = StringRegExp ($TextCheck, "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\RN\d+M0", 0)
        If $CheckM47 = 1 Then
            $Graphic1 = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(48, 48, 40, 41)
            GUICtrlSetGraphic(-1, $GUI_GR_COLOR, 0x000000, 0x00FF00)
            GUICtrlSetGraphic(-1, $GUI_GR_ELLIPSE, 5, 4, 30, 31)
            GUICtrlSetGraphic(-1, $GUI_GR_REFRESH)
        ElseIf $CheckM47 = 0 Then
            GUICtrlSetGraphic(-1, $GUI_GR_COLOR, 0x000000, 0xFF0000)
        EndIf
EndFunc

actually finds M47 even if it's above a M08, i tested by removing all the M47's from the file and then placing one by hand in above N34M08 as such:

N33.1M47

N34M08

and the on_drop search still picked it up, which I only want it to pick up the one above the M0 not any M code containing 0 such as M08

still with me?

Just look at us.

btw here is an example of machine code similar to what I'm working with:

N25M61
N26M0
N27M602
N28G53X57.859Y5.512
N29(*MSG,TOOL ID NO:10551)
N30(*MSG,TL ROUND,X=0.551)
N31M81
N32T1[1,0.551]
N33M6[1,1]
N34M08

The AddM47 function adds it above the M0 only, as i need it to, but if the code is as such:

N25M61
N26M0
N27M602
N28G53X57.859Y5.512
N29(*MSG,TOOL ID NO:10551)
N30(*MSG,TL ROUND,X=0.551)
N31M81
N32T1[1,0.551]
N33M6[1,1]
N33.1M47
N34M08

Then the on_drop function still hits as finding the M47 and turns the ellipse green. I need to only check for the M47 above the M0

Edited by Wombat

Just look at us.

aha ! :) i knew that it's more complicated

the add function works perfect without flaw, I've tested it on multiple files, what is NOT working correctly is the search function built into the on_drop function. It is picking up the M08 which is odd because the AddM47 function does not even touch the M08 and only edits above the M0 code

Just look at us.

This matches (!) what I suspected. You silly, you never told us about lines with decimal numbers as the first value... Anyway, I forgot to add a R at the end of the pattern so the M08 line matches M0.

Hence use that instead:

StringRegExp ($TextCheck, "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\RN\d+M0\R", 0)

Sorry for this mistake of mine.

This matches (!) what I suspected. You silly, you never told us about lines with decimal numbers as the first value... Anyway, I forgot to add a R at the end of the pattern so the M08 line matches M0.

Hence use that instead:

equally my mistake, I should have supplied that sample code to begin with

Just look at us.

Hence use that instead:

This worked perfectly. Now the very last thing I have to do is figure out the method to remove the only the M47 from above the M0 so that this:

N25M61

N25.1M47

N26M0

N27M602

Becomes:

N25M61

N26M0

N27M602

without touching any other M47's in the code...

Edit: and yes I am studying the StringRegExp flags used so that I'm learning and not regurgitating code, :)

Edited by Wombat

Just look at us.

I was about to post that part before going to sleep a bit (it's 4:51 here!)

Func Remove_M47(); This function removes the M47 code from the program
    Local $sText = FileRead($ReadInput1)
    Local $sTextDelM47 = StringRegExpReplace($sText, "(?m)(N\d+\.\dM47\R)(?=N\d+M0\R)", "", 1)
    MsgBox(0, "First added M47 now removed", $sTextM47)
    FileWrite($ReadInput1, $sTextDelM47)
EndFunc

Should work if you pray hard enough!

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <String.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
; GUI section starts here:
$GUI = GUICreate("M47 Tool", 509, 136, 340, 175, Default, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)
GUISetIcon("C:\prog_res\Lab\test_res\config.ico", -1)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Close_M47_Tool")
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 92, 56, 329, 21)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Use this tool to add or remove the M47 code from a program", 11, 16, 486, 24)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add M47", 88, 88, 161, 41)
GUICtrlSetCursor (-1, 0)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Add_M47")
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Remove M47", 260, 88, 161, 41)
GUICtrlSetCursor (-1, 0)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Remove_M47")
$Button3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("", 440, 48, 49, 41, $BS_ICON)
GUICtrlSetImage(-1, "C:\prog_res\Lab\test_res\reload%2032.ico", -1)
GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Reload Tool")
GUICtrlSetCursor (-1, 0)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Tool_Reload")
$Button4 = GUICtrlCreateButton("?", 456, 104, 33, 25, $BS_PUSHBOX)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFFFF00)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xD4D0C8)
GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Open the Help file")
GUICtrlSetCursor (-1, 4)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Open_Help")
$cDrop_Dummy = GUICtrlCreateDummy()
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "_On_Drop")
Global $Graphic1
Local $sText
Global $aDrop_List
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
; GUI section ends here.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Register $WM_DROPFILES function to detect drops anywhere on the GUI <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
GUIRegisterMsg(0x233, "On_WM_DROPFILES") ; $WM_DROPFILES
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
While 1

WEnd

Func _On_Drop() ; <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    For $i = 1 To $aDrop_List[0]
        GUICtrlSetData($Input1, $aDrop_List[$i])
    Next
    Local $CheckM47 = StringRegExp ($TextCheck, "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\RN\d+M0\R", 0)
        If $CheckM47 = 1 Then
        EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_On_Drop;;; This adds the file path of the dropped item to the input box and checks for the M47 code displaying a green or red circle accordingly

Func Input_Prog_Check(); Checks the program for the M47 code and displays either an error icon or success icon

EndFunc

Func Close_M47_Tool(); CLoses the Tool
    Exit
EndFunc

Func Add_M47(); This function adds the M47 code to the program
    GUICtrlDelete ($Graphic1)
    Local $CheckM47 = StringRegExp ($TextCheck, "(?m)N\d+\.\dM47\RN\d+M0\R", 0)
        If $CheckM47 = 1 Then
            MsgBox(48, "Notice", "This program already contains the M47 code present" & @CRLF & "you will not be able to add it until" & @CRLF & "you remove it", 0, "M47 Tool")
            GUICtrlSetGraphic(-1, $GUI_GR_COLOR, 0x000000, 0xFFFF00)
            Sleep(150)
            Sleep(150)
            GUICtrlSetGraphic(-1, $GUI_GR_COLOR, 0x000000, 0xFFFF00)
            Local $sText = FileRead($ReadInput1)
            Local $sTextM47 = Execute("'" & StringRegExpReplace($sText, "(?m)(N\d+M\d+\R)?N(\d+)(M0\R)", "$1N' & StringFormat('%04.1f', $2 - 0.9) & 'M47" & @CRLF & "N$2$3", 1) & "'")
            FileDelete ($ReadInput1)
                FileWrite ($ReadInput1, $sTextM47)
            Sleep(150)
        EndIf
EndFunc

Func Remove_M47(); This function removes the M47 code from the program

EndFunc

Func Tool_Reload(); This function clears the $ReadInput1 var
    GUICtrlSetData ($Input1, "")
EndFunc

Func Open_Help(); This function opens the help file to aid the user in adding or removing the M47 code
$Form2 = GUICreate("Form2", 665, 834, 484, 50)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Help_window_close")
GUISetIcon("C:\prog_res\Lab\test_res\config.ico", -1)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("M47 Help Window", 225, 8, 215, 33)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 18, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFFFF00)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xA0A0A4)
$Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic("C:\prog_res\Lab\test_res\ScreenCap.bmp", 8, 56, 649, 363)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("1:  Indicates that the loaded program contains the M47 code", 59, 472, 476, 25)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "Franklin Gothic Medium")
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFF0000)
$Label3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("2:  Indicates that the Loaded Program does not contain the M47 code", 59, 519, 544, 25)
$Label4 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("3:  Use this button to add the M47 code", 59, 566, 312, 25)
$Label5 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("4:  Use this button to remove the M47 code", 59, 613, 338, 25)
$Label6 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("5:  Use this button to access the Help Window", 59, 660, 359, 25)
$Label7 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("6:  Use this button to reset the M47 Tool Window", 59, 707, 382, 25)
$Label8 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("7:   Either type in the full path, or drag and drop the file here", 59, 754, 644, 25)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
EndFunc

Func Help_window_close()
    GUIDelete ("M47 Help Window")
EndFunc

; React to items dropped on the GUI <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Func On_WM_DROPFILES($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    ; Credit to ProgAndy for DLL calls
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $lParam
    Local $iSize, $pFileName
    ; Get number of files dropped
    Local $aRet = DllCall("shell32.dll", "int", "DragQueryFileW", "hwnd", $wParam, "int", 0xFFFFFFFF, "ptr", 0, "int", 0)
    ; Reset array to correct size
    Global $aDrop_List[$aRet[0] + 1] = [$aRet[0]]
    ; And add item names
    For $i = 0 To $aRet[0] - 1
        $aRet = DllCall("shell32.dll", "int", "DragQueryFileW", "hwnd", $wParam, "int", $i, "ptr", 0, "int", 0)
        $iSize = $aRet[0] + 1
        $pFileName = DllStructCreate("wchar[" & $iSize & "]")
        DllCall("shell32.dll", "int", "DragQueryFileW", "hwnd", $wParam, "int", $i, "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($pFileName), "int", $iSize)
        $aDrop_List[$i + 1] = DllStructGetData($pFileName, 1)
        $pFileName = 0
    Next
    ; Send the count to trigger the drop function in the main loop
    GUICtrlSendToDummy($cDrop_Dummy, $aDrop_List[0])
EndFunc   ;==>On_WM_DROPFILES

The code so far, ignore the ugly yellow flashing ellipse, >_<

Just look at us.

See above

Since we are at it, is it possible for the first M0 line (where we are going to insert an M47 with 0.9 substracted) to have a non integral first value. For instance, should we insert an M47 line in this sample:

N01M23
N02M05
N03.5M0      <-- is that a possible format?