Problems with RegRead

Hello community,

i just started with autoit and tried some examples from the helpfile.

I tried to read out the installation path of my flightsimulator but i got no results anyway. 

How do i use the regread command even when i don't know where the installation path exists?

for example:

some users install it under C: - others under d: - and further the install path could be named

in different ways.

I will find out where the install path is to use the result as an $var for further scripts.

could pls. give my someone a hint...

thx

hello, and welcome to the AutoIt forum,

first, since you mentioned "flightsimulator" - do take care to verify that your intentions do not violate the forum rules, which has a strict opinion against game automation.

until a mod says otherwise, at least so far your issue seems legit to me. it's not hard to accomplish what you ask, but let's start with the basics: by saying "I tried to read out the installation path of my flightsimulator but i got no results anyway.", what exactly do you mean? what did you try, and what did you get? post your code, so we can guide you in the right direction.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

$InstallDir = RegRead("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\flightsimulator", "InstallLocation")
If FileExists($InstallDir & "\flightsimulator.exe") Then
   Run($InstallDir & "\flightsimulator.exe")
EndIf

Or:

$InstallDir = RegRead("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\flightsimulator", "InstallLocation")
   MsgBox(0x40010, @ScriptName, "flightsimulator is already installed", 4)
   Exit
EndIf
Edited by ffdshow

hello, and welcome to the AutoIt forum,

first, since you mentioned "flightsimulator" - do take care to verify that your intentions do not violate the forum rules, which has a strict opinion against game automation.

until a mod says otherwise, at least so far your issue seems legit to me. it's not hard to accomplish what you ask, but let's start with the basics: by saying "I tried to read out the installation path of my flightsimulator but i got no results anyway.", what exactly do you mean? what did you try, and what did you get? post your code, so we can guide you in the right direction.

Hi Orbs,

thx for this information. At least, i am anoid about installing my flightsimulator several times a year and spending hours by hours until finished.

So i wanna make myself an easy autoinstaller for unattended installation. i hope this will not violate the forum rules.

If it does pls give me the information. 

I found the fault value - i used "fsx.exe" instead of  "AppPath": that was the reason.

Local $var = RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\", "appPath")
MsgBox(4096, "Ordner für Programme:", $var)

I need the $var to give my script the path to install the sceneries into the right directory or using it as String

for an "ControlSetText" command for the installers.

thx 

Run($InstallDir & "\flightsimulator.exe")
EndIf

Or:

MsgBox(0x40010, @ScriptName, "flightsimulator is already installed", 4)
   Exit
EndIf

Hi ffdshow,

thx for that example... i will try it ;)