Line Wrap for AutoIt Edit Control (_EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap)

iCode

the concept comes from someone else here, though i forget who (if you, let me know and i'll be glad to give credit)

rather than toggling line wrapping on and off in an AutoIt multi-line edit control, which apparently is not doable, this function destroys and recreates the control, preserving various aspects of the original

it works by creating the new control with or without a horizontal scroll bar ($WS_HSCROLL)

i'm no pro, so critique is welcome :)

#include-once
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <GUIEdit.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap
; Version .......; 1.1 (29-Jan-2014)
; Description ...: toggle line wrapping for an AutoIt multi-line edit control
; Syntax ........: _EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap($hWnd, $iCtrlID[, $iResize = $GUI_DOCKAUTO[, $iChars = 999999[, $sFont = ""[, $hexColor = 0x000000[, $hexBgColor = 0xFFFFFF]]]]])
; Parameters ....: $hWnd                - handle to parent window
;                  $iCtrlID             - edit control ID
;                  $iResize             - [optional] (integer) edit control resizing value for GUICtrlSetResizing() - def=$GUI_DOCKAUTO
;                  $iChars              - [optional] (integer) edit control max chars - def=999999
;                  $sFont               - [optional] (string) "|" seperated string 4 of parameters for GUICtrlSetFont() (size, weight, attribute, fontname) - def=""
;                  $hexColor              - [optional] (hex) font color - def=0x000000 (black)
;                  $hexBgColor          - [optional] (hex) edit control background color - def=0xFFFFFF (white)
; Return values .: -1 = Error
;                  : 0 = Wrapping off
;                  : 1 = Wrapping on
; Author ........: iCode
; Modified ......: 1-JAN-2014
; Remarks .......: tested with AutoIt 3.3.10.2
;                  : it appears that if the edit control is too close to the GUI border, it can be re-created with entirely wrong dimentions
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: No
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap($hWnd, $iCtrlID, $iResize = 1, $iChars = 999999, $sFont = "", $hexColor = 0x000000, $hexBgColor = 0xFFFFFF)

Local $return, $aFont
    Local $string = GUICtrlRead($iCtrlID)
    Local $aCtrlPos = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", $iCtrlID)
    If @error Or $aCtrlPos[2] < 1 Or $aCtrlPos[3] < 1 Then Return -1
    Local $hCtrl = GUICtrlGetHandle($iCtrlID)
    If $hCtrl = 0 Then Return -1
    Local $ctrlStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong($hCtrl, $GWL_STYLE)
    If @error Then Return -1
    Local $ctrlExStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong($hCtrl, $GWL_EXSTYLE)
    If @error = 10 Then $ctrlExStyle = 0
    Local $iMod = _GUICtrlEdit_GetModify($hCtrl)
    Local $aSel = _GUICtrlEdit_GetSel($hCtrl)
    Local $iLines = _GUICtrlEdit_GetFirstVisibleLine($hCtrl)
    GUICtrlDelete($iCtrlID)
    If BitAND($ctrlStyle, $WS_HSCROLL) Then
        $iCtrlID = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", $aCtrlPos[0], $aCtrlPos[1], $aCtrlPos[2], $aCtrlPos[3], $ctrlStyle - $WS_HSCROLL, $ctrlExStyle)
        $return = 1
    Else
        $iCtrlID = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", $aCtrlPos[0], $aCtrlPos[1], $aCtrlPos[2], $aCtrlPos[3], $ctrlStyle + $WS_HSCROLL, $ctrlExStyle)
        $return = 0
    EndIf

GUICtrlSetResizing($iCtrlID, $iResize)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor($iCtrlID, $hexBgColor)
    GUICtrlSetColor($iCtrlID, $hexColor)
    If $sFont <> "" Then
        $aFont = StringSplit($sFont, "|")
        If $aFont[0] = 4 Then
            GUICtrlSetFont($iCtrlID, $aFont[1], $aFont[2], $aFont[3], $aFont[4])
        EndIf
    EndIf
    GUICtrlSetLimit($iCtrlID, $iChars)
    GUICtrlSetData($iCtrlID, $string)
    _GUICtrlEdit_LineScroll($iCtrlID, 0, $iLines)
    _GUICtrlEdit_SetSel($iCtrlID, $aSel[0], $aSel[1])
    _GUICtrlEdit_SetModify($iCtrlID, $iMod)

Return $return

EndFunc

CHANGE LOG

29-Jan-2014

* fixed a bug that could cause incorrect extra style to be applied to edit control

1-Jan-2014

* restores the scroll position to the current line number

* very minor changes

29-Dec-2013

* swapped the return values - they were backwards

28-Dec-2013

* include Martins suggestion to restore character selection

* added check of edit control size to avoid problems if the control is less than 1x1 px

Edited by iCode

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

One thing I included which you might want to consider is to allow for some text being selected, and setting where the cursor is when the user switches wrapping.

$range = _GUICtrlEdit_GetSel($iCtrlID)
;delete the edit

;create the new edit
_GUICtrlEdit_SetSel($iCtrlID, $range[0], $range[1])
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

thank martin!

done

was it you who i probably scarfed this idea from?

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

I don't think so because the script here I used the same idea I have never published.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.