Creating and Writing to a Custom Event Log

Hi All,

I've been playing around with creating a Windows custom event log using AutoIT and have come up with the following so far.

; Event Log Creation Reg Entries

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\TestApp\TestApp", "CustomSource", "REG_DWORD", "1")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\TestApp\TestApp", "EventMessageFile", "REG_EXPAND_SZ", "%SystemRoot%\System32\EventCreate.exe")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\TestApp", "Sources", "REG_MULTI_SZ", "TestApp")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\TestApp", "File", "REG_EXPAND_SZ", "%SystemRoot%\system32\winevt\Logs\TestApp.evtx")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\TestApp", "Retention", "REG_DWORD", "0")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\TestApp", "MaxSize", "REG_DWORD", "524288")

; My little function based on the EventLog.au3 to make it easier within my code.
; Create Event Log | 1=Error, 2=Warning, 4=Information
Func _CreateEventLog($Type,$EventID,$Desc)
local $aEmpty[1] = [0]

$hEventLog = _EventLog__Open("", "TestApp")
_EventLog__Report($hEventLog, $Type, 0, $EventID, 0,$Desc, $aEmpty)
_EventLog__Close($hEventLog)
logging("EVENT" & @TAB & "An event has been logged to the TestApp Event Log." & @CRLF)
EndFunc

; Creating an event log entry

_CreateEventLog(1,900,@CRLF & 'Test Message')

This seems to work nice and well however I'm receiving some strange entries in the custom event log every now and then:

The description for Event ID 909 from source TestApp cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

And then my message shows.  

Does anyone have any clue why this would be?  I think my code is OK that bit seems to send the message to the event log however something is missing.  I've read up on message files and putting an entry for them in the registry however that will give me very specific event log entries and I want mine to be dynamic within my code.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks

Rob