Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ubberoinker

Need help with CmdLine

5 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I created a simple Browser GUI and have it set as my default browser. I found $CmdLine and which worked somewhat, with the following code whenever I click a link it'll open my compiled script and navigate to the link. 

If $CmdLine[0] > 0 Then
$oIE.navigate($CmdLine[2])
Else
$oIE.navigate("http://google.com")
EndIf

Problem is every time I click a link it opens a new instance of the program. How can I make it so it reuses the open instance instead of opening a new one?

Edited by ubberoinker

hello ubberoinker, welcome to AutoIt and to the forum!

this is not a problem with $CmdLine (although i can't get why you use $CmdLine[2] instead of $CmdLine[1], but that's your business).

before you "navigate" with the IE object, you need to "attach" to existing browser instance. look at the IE UDF for _IEAttach() or _IECreate().

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

hello ubberoinker, welcome to AutoIt and to the forum!

this is not a problem with $CmdLine (although i can't get why you use $CmdLine[2] instead of $CmdLine[1], but that's your business).

before you "navigate" with the IE object, you need to "attach" to existing browser instance. look at the IE UDF for _IEAttach() or _IECreate().

Thank you for the welcome! Long time user of AutoIt but have been stumped by this one. I'm probably either way off or missing something obvious.

_ArrayDisplay shows me the $CmdLine array is as follows

Row|Col 0
[0]|2
[1]|-url

I'm not having a problem with the Navigating part, When I click a link it will open my MyBrowser.exe and navigate to the URL I clicked on. 

The problem is that every time I click a link it opens a new instance of MyBrowser.exe and navigates to the link. I don't want it to open a new instance but rather reuse the active instance and just navigate to the URL I clicked..

Edited by ubberoinker

the $oIE.navigate misled me to believe you are using IE. if that is incorrect, then ignore my previous post.

you need to have your MyBrowser handle the $CmdLine differently. flow like this:

if already another instance running (use _Singleon() ), then

just write the url to a temp text file, and exit immediately.

endif

main part: instead of:

while running

do what you do

wend

do this:

while running

do what you do

if a temp text file exists, read the url from it and do what you do with it (start new tab?) and delete the temp file

wend