Need help debugging GUIRichEdit.au3 statements

I'm having difficulties with the GUIRichEdit.au3 UDF

It seems to have gone through some evolutionary changes over the years and at least a couple of the streaming functions have problems.  I've entered a bug report on ToFile.  But others, I just can't follow. 

For example, can someone experienced with these functions shed light on the meaning of this statement:

Local $iWparam = ($s == "{rtf" Or $s == "{urtf") ? $SF_RTF : $SF_TEXT

It's in Func _GUICtrlRichEdit_StreamFromVar($hWnd, $sVar)

Usually, when I encounter a question mark character, it means that something couldn't be interpreted ... like a character from another character set.  But I see several uses of question marks in StringRegExp, so maybe the above use has meaning.  But, I've never typed one in, myself.

Also, is an original copy of the UDF available for inspection? ... a copy from before it was added to Include?

Thanks for any help.

Local $iWparam = ($s == "{\rtf" Or $s == "{urtf") ? $SF_RTF : $SF_TEXT 

That's a statement using the ternary operator that's in the newest versions of AutoIt. It's a shortened version of an If/Then/Else statement.

What that statement is saying is if $s is equal to "{rtf" or $s is equal to "{urtf" then $iWparam will be assigned the value of $SF_RTF, if neither of those comparisons are true then $iWparam will be assigned the value of $SF_TEXT, and it's a case sensitive string comparison.

NOTE: I don't know if you'll be able to find a pre-include version of the RichEdit UDF, but you can certainly find earlier versions of it in the archived versions of AutoIt. Just find when it was added to the standard UDFs and find that version in the archives. 

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks, BrewManNH.  It now makes sense.

I guess the time to debate 'ternaries' has passed ... but it's sad to see the cryptic quality they inject into what is otherwise a refreshingly forthright and readable language.

Anyway, the problem I'm chasing appears to be related to the EM_STREAMIN message calls.  I'm streaming rich content from a variable and I'm getting a "transformed" result ... the biggest problem of which is the insertion of an unwanted/unneeded font, MS Shell Dlg.

I've attached an example, if anyone happens to have ideas.  I'm testing alternative methods.

post-29172-0-76868300-1405141936_thumb.p

• Moderators

qwert,

I guess the time to debate 'ternaries' has passed

Yup! :D

the cryptic quality they inject

Only if you have never seen them before - once you understand the ternary syntax [i.e. (test) ? (true) : (false) ] is it any different to using other operators? I suggest <> and /= are also pretty cryptic the first time you come across them. ;)

a refreshingly forthright and readable language

At least we agree on something! :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I suppose.  I must have skipped that chapter in my CS courses.  I think my aversion is due to the use of ? as an operator.

[i.e. (test) ? (true) : (false) ]

IMO, anything else ... like || ... or / ... would have been a better choice.  '?' rattles too many neurons in the brain.

But we make do with QWERTYUIOP keyboards and ASCII Control Codes, so maybe it's no worse. [shrug]

The ? usage as the ternary operator is used in other languages and written the same way. It's just keeping AutoIt consistent with other languages so the learning curve wouldn't be steep.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator