Need Multi-Client TCP Server

Trax

We started out using the one by KIP. Seemed to work well. About the time we finished our program KIP posted that the UDF was no good and not to use it. Lots of errors when compiling, especially with the obfuscator and receiving wasn't too reliable but what the heck.

I need to start looking for something a little better supported and more reliable. I have found a couple but same story. Half way through the thread the author no longer has time or has given up. So I guess the bottom line is "has anyone developed a multi-client TCP Server that is known to work"?

We have a need to send log files (simple text files) from several hundred computers scattered across the country to a central "server". The way we are doing it with KIP's udf is sending up to 100 lines of the log every 10 minutes (maybe 6,000 characters). It works well but sometimes only partial lines are received and it messes things up.

Anyway... does anyone know of a good, reliable, still supported UDF for a multi-client TCP server?

Edited by Trax

I wouldn't use a multi-client server in that project. You're not "chatting",

so what would be the point?

One server and "several hundred" clients, would be all you need.

Sounds like a good project!

Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

OK. I give. Your first comment was that we don't need a multi-client server yet in you second comment you state one server and several hundred clients is all you need. Can you translate to something understandable?

We could possible have a thousand clients yet you don't think we need a multi-client server? You think a thousand clients will be able to transmit logs to one server without it being multi-client? ARe there enough minutes in an hour?

Its not a UDF but i have nice client server explanation guide for more than one client, if your interested have a read.

I'm certain i'll be a step to correct direction to construct something yourself (if you already did not read it already :P) or change that simple code to suit your need.

Link is in my signature.

TCP server and client - Learning about TCP servers and clients connection
Au3 oIrrlicht - Irrlicht project
Au3impact - Another 3D DLL game engine for autoit. (3impact 3Drad related)

460px-Thief-4-temp-banner.jpg
There are those that believe that the perfect heist lies in the preparation.
Some say that it’s all in the timing, seizing the right opportunity. Others even say it’s the ability to leave no trace behind, be a ghost.

Your first comment was that we don't need a multi-client server yet in you second comment you state one server and several hundred clients is all you need. Can you translate to something understandable?
Files can only be written to a hard drive...one at a time. One second, is all thats needed per connection, and then the client will disconnect. Multi-client servers are intended for longer durations, like chatting.

You think a thousand clients will be able to transmit logs to one server without it being multi-client?
Yes, I think it can be done. But not all at once in the Same Second or Minute.

ARe there enough minutes in an hour?
Time is relentless. You could always split that up between several servers. Lets see, 60 seconds in a minute. 60 computers per minute. 600 computers in "10 minutes". That is -- if everything worked ok. --- You could also use a well known FTP Server (software). I used to run one years ago which required a login and password to access. You could then use an FTP Client, like FileZilla, to send the logs to the FTP Server. You could also use a Web Server (hardware) that allows FTP uploads.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Files can only be written to a hard drive...one at a time. One second, is all thats needed per connection, and then the client will disconnect. Multi-client servers are intended for longer durations, like chatting.

That statement is incorrect and that does mean that TCP will not follow that rule, and user maybe will not handle data in file form on server side.

Edited by bogQ

TCP server and client - Learning about TCP servers and clients connection
Au3 oIrrlicht - Irrlicht project
Au3impact - Another 3D DLL game engine for autoit. (3impact 3Drad related)

460px-Thief-4-temp-banner.jpg
There are those that believe that the perfect heist lies in the preparation.
Some say that it’s all in the timing, seizing the right opportunity. Others even say it’s the ability to leave no trace behind, be a ghost.

That statement is incorrect...

Not for the Scope I was speaking in.

Edited by ripdad

We have a need to send log files (simple text files) from several hundred computers scattered across the country to a central "server". The way we are doing it with KIP's udf is sending up to 100 lines of the log every 10 minutes (maybe 6,000 characters). It works well but sometimes only partial lines are received and it messes things up.

Why dont you take KIP's UDF and modify it or start from scratch. Add a MD5 Hash that generates on the client side, Sends the MD5 hash before the text transmission and after the transmission (2 times). Compare the 2 separate MD5 hashes and if they are the same then compare the string to the MD5 hash. If they dont match then resend the file until they do. You could even split up the data and send several strings. You could also Zip up the data and then get an MD5 Hash and then send it. Lots of options.

Edited by computergroove

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html